A roguelike webzine!
Christopher
2004-08-04 01:05:49 UTC
Hello all.

Lately I've been searching the net looking at websites about
rougelikes. There weren't very many, and to be honest most were pretty
boring. It seemed the only *really* interesting and constantly
changing stuff on the net are these R.G.R.* Also a few days ago I saw
a friend reading a magazine 'White Dwarf' which is a monthly magazine
about a table-top collectable war game, War Hammer. So I thought,
wouldn't it be great if there was something like that for Roguelikes!
(If there is something like this, please tell me about it and I'll
crawl off in embarrasment). And so this idea was born:

A roguelike web-zine! (being a magazine, but on the internet).

Now, these things cant just happen instantly, and there are always
problems, but I think I could manage to churn out one of these every
fortnight or so. It would include stuff like interesting
Ascensions/Victories/Winnings, Reviews of some of the lesser-known
roguelikes, tactics, interviews with creators... whatever. So, I
figured I'd throw this out into the open and get some feedback. If
some people could reply and answer the below questions that would be
great. Thanks in advance.

1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
of time? (Be honest)

2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?

3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?

4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?

Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute
(or I could just steal stuff off R.G.R.* >:-D ). I have played most
roguelike games at least once, but have played ADOM, Nethack (and its
varient SLASH'EM) and Angband (and a few varients) the most. I am also
a frequent reader of R.G.R.*, and keep up to date about updates and
the like. I've been playing roguelikes for a few years.

So, what do you all think?
copx
2004-08-04 01:17:37 UTC
"Christopher" <***@allsaints.wa.edu.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:***@posting.google.com...
[snip]
Post by Christopher
1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
of time? (Be honest)
Well, a good RL news website would more important for the community but why
not, sounds good.
Post by Christopher
2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
HTML?! It's a WEBzine at last.
Post by Christopher
3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?
Upload to a site + email for those who want that.
Post by Christopher
4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?
Reviews, tactics, interviews with creators, roguelike development articles,
general news.
Post by Christopher
Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
I'm not *that* good
Often I get the impression that most people in the roguelike scene are
actually people from non-English countries. Most of the people from Poland,
Germany (like me), Finland etc. probably won't notice any imperfections.

copx
Ceilti OCahill
2004-08-04 02:25:29 UTC
copx writes:

< smip >

I find I must resist this idea. I like the relatively closed atmosphere of rgra
and the varients. Thangorodrim already performs a similar service.

In thinking of the future a magazine would advertize Angband and variaints and
I'm not so sure this is a good thing..

I would prefer no change in publicity and keep Angband and varients small, only
for the relatively few.

I'm sory to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but that is what i feel. Perhaps
you could do something wtth Thangorodrm. They badly need updates and info
regarding varients..

Regards,

Ceilti

The only truth is the stars in the heavens, and all that lies beneath is
interpretation.
copx
2004-08-04 02:38:26 UTC
Post by Ceilti OCahill
< smip >
I find I must resist this idea. I like the relatively closed atmosphere of rgra
and the varients. Thangorodrim already performs a similar service.
In thinking of the future a magazine would advertize Angband and variaints and
I'm not so sure this is a good thing..
I would prefer no change in publicity and keep Angband and varients small, only
for the relatively few.
I'm sory to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but that is what i feel. Perhaps
you could do something wtth Thangorodrm. They badly need updates and info
regarding varients..
Regards,
Ceilti
I think you misunderstood him (it wasn't my idea so you're actually replying
the wrong person). The webzine is meant as a general roguelike webzine, not
especially focused on Angband or its variants.

copx
Ceilti OCahill
2004-08-04 03:24:02 UTC
Post by copx
I think you misunderstood him (it wasn't my idea so you're actually replying
the wrong person). The webzine is meant as a general roguelike webzine, not
especially focused on Angband or its variants.
I have read his posts and I confess myself a little confused regarding his
ideas.

It is not imy intention to throw a damper on his enthusiasm, but perhaps you
could enlighten me as to his ideas?

interpretation.
Glen Wheeler
2004-08-04 08:19:01 UTC
Post by Ceilti OCahill
< smip >
I find I must resist this idea. I like the relatively closed atmosphere of rgra
and the varients. Thangorodrim already performs a similar service.
The ``more players is bad'' philosophy? Sounds like a severe case of FUD
to me.
Post by Ceilti OCahill
In thinking of the future a magazine would advertize Angband and variaints and
I'm not so sure this is a good thing..
The more people who play games I enjoy -> the more people who enjoy games
I enjoy -> several obvious good things.
Roguelikes which are not commercial never will be, unless the creators
have some desire to. Besides, roguelikes (in their classical form) are not
commercially viable.
Post by Ceilti OCahill
I would prefer no change in publicity and keep Angband and varients small, only
for the relatively few.
I'm sory to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but that is what i feel. Perhaps
you could do something wtth Thangorodrm. They badly need updates and info
regarding varients..
I personally would enjoy knowing the reasons behind your thoughts. They
seem a little odd to me...
--
Glen
L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
Netbrian
2004-08-05 02:05:17 UTC
Post by Glen Wheeler
Roguelikes which are not commercial never will be, unless the creators
have some desire to. Besides, roguelikes (in their classical form)
are not commercially viable.
While this tends to be true with the core "true" Roguelikes (such as Angband,
Nethack, ADOM, and Crawl), I think limiting the genre to just that is a mistake.
I've seen many commercial games implementing a fair amount of Roguelike features,
even if they don't have ASCII graphics. Other people have brought up the Diablo
series as being a sort of "Angband-Lite" (I haven't played it myself), and I've
also played several console games that are wholly or in part Roguelike. Such
material would be well worth covering in a real "Roguelike" E-Zine.

Netbrian
Glen Wheeler
2004-08-05 04:37:37 UTC
Post by Netbrian
material would be well worth covering in a real "Roguelike" E-Zine.
The problem with altering the definition of roguelike to include all games
which have roguelike elements is that the monthly, weekly or daily issue
would be thousands of pages thick.
I believe limiting this zine to core topics such as adom, angband and
nethack (and crawl) would actually serve to include many more readers than
otherwise. Perhaps later it would be a good idea to have more roguelikes in
regular sections, but until then they should probably only appear as guest
articles (say a review).
--
Glen
L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
Vorg the Sapient
2004-08-04 03:38:25 UTC
Post by Christopher
1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
of time? (Be honest)
It sounds like a great idea, if workable.
Post by Christopher
4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?
Easy; there's plenty of new input every day in these newsgroups
themselves. YANIs, spoilers, an obituary column for especially
noteworthy deaths, interesting screenshots, maybe a humour corner a la
that odd Nethack webcomic I've seen around, game diaries (as they're
written)... I don't think any of us would have a problem with our
ideas/ascensions/deaths etc. being published in a webzine for players
outside rgr* to read.
Post by Christopher
Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute
(or I could just steal stuff off R.G.R.* >:-D ). I have played most
roguelike games at least once, but have played ADOM, Nethack (and its
varient SLASH'EM) and Angband (and a few varients) the most. I am also
a frequent reader of R.G.R.*, and keep up to date about updates and
the like. I've been playing roguelikes for a few years.
If you don't think you're up to writing the whole thing yourself, you
can find some other people to collaborate with, but probably the most
important things you need to consider are consistency and motivation.
Make sure you have the time and energy to keep this thing consistent,
and be absolutely certain you're motivated enough that it won't fall
in a heap after a month or so. Covering all these games in detail
from fortnight to fortnight might end up being a pretty big task -- I
could probably do a fortnightly zine on one game alone given the time
and motivation. If you can manage it, though, then I'm sure it would
be worth reading.

Good luck.

Vorg
Neodymium
2004-08-04 05:20:43 UTC
Post by Christopher
4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?
Easy; there's plenty of new input every day in these newsgroups
themselves. YANIs...
YANIs?
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Glen Wheeler
2004-08-04 08:19:39 UTC
Post by Christopher
4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?
Easy; there's plenty of new input every day in these newsgroups
themselves. YANIs...
YANIs?
Yet another new idea, for the chronically lazy.
--
Glen
L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
Aguilar, James
2004-08-04 03:39:56 UTC
Post by copx
[snip]
Now, these things cant just happen instantly, and there are always
problems, but I think I could manage to churn out one of these every
fortnight or so. It would include stuff like interesting
Ascensions/Victories/Winnings, Reviews of some of the lesser-known
roguelikes, tactics, interviews with creators... whatever. So, I
figured I'd throw this out into the open and get some feedback. If
some people could reply and answer the below questions that would be
great. Thanks in advance.
1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
of time? (Be honest)
Yes, it's probably a waste of time.
Post by copx
2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
ASCII? =P Um . . . mailing list, probably, with some kind of webpage to
put it all together. Is there such a thing as a plain text webpage?

If you mean the type of content . . . mostly, information about new
roguelikes (that are actually in some kind of workable condition), progress
reports, reviews, and maybe an article or two about things you can do to
play your roguelikes better (all this, of course, with the stipulation that
it is a waste of time)
Post by copx
3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?
See above.
Post by copx
Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute
That's where your model falls apart. It's great to see that you are so
enthused, but people have enough trouble writing their own roguelikes to
worry about a magazine that probably not many people will read unless it is
really well written.

I'm very impressed that you've found usenet at the ripe young age of 14, tho
ugh, and your idealism is to be commended.
Post by copx
(or I could just steal stuff off R.G.R.* >:-D ). I have played most
roguelike games at least once, but have played ADOM, Nethack (and its
varient SLASH'EM) and Angband (and a few varients) the most. I am also
a frequent reader of R.G.R.*, and keep up to date about updates and
the like. I've been playing roguelikes for a few years.
You've a diverse and long experience with roguelikes too. *is even more
impressed* You've played more of them than I have.

Yours,

James
R. Dan Henry
2004-08-04 08:13:39 UTC
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:39:56 -0400, "Aguilar, James"
Post by Aguilar, James
Post by Christopher
1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
of time? (Be honest)
Yes, it's probably a waste of time.
This I agree with. I don't see this providing anything the newsgroups
don't do better. However, playing computer games could also be
classified as a waste of time. If this is done to get some experience
making a website and with the understanding that this project will
probably die after a few months of activity, it could be a valuable
learning experience and a bit of fun.
Post by Aguilar, James
Post by Christopher
2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
ASCII? =P Um . . . mailing list, probably, with some kind of webpage to
put it all together. Is there such a thing as a plain text webpage?
Yes, you can put a *.txt page into your website.

However, if one is looking to actually contribute something of lasting
value to the roguelike community, contributing material to (an)
existing website(s) would be the way to go. In particular, there are a
couple of roguelike review sites and it takes a lot of time to play a
RL enough to fairly review it, so a second reviewer would probably be
very welcome.

Richard Daniel Henry
***@inreach.com
Fitzdraco
2004-08-04 04:30:16 UTC
Snip introduction.
Post by Christopher
1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
of time? (Be honest)
Well I'll read it, and the idea has potential. On the negative side most
people who play roguelikes have decent skill with with the internet, and
with the helpful people in this community you can find a lot of information
either by asking directly or by searching. On the positive side, like all
people who are interested in something they like to read about stuff so you
have that.
Post by Christopher
2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
As someone else suggested probably web and email. If you do a webpage may I
offer the following advice. Keep it simple. I do not know HTML and have
never designed a website, but I do know what I hate when I see one. Busy
backgrounds, color schemes that clash and are hard to read, large pictures
on the main page, and annoying midi music.
Post by Christopher
4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?
Well I would recomend you check out the websites that are available and see
what they have to offer, there is a huge amount of information out there for
people to find. If you want people to read your webzine, then you have to
offer new information or some other reason for people to read. There are
tons of spoilers out there so that may not be the best way to go. On the
other hand if you can present articles that are interesting people will read
them. Chat or email interviews with the maintainer or former maintainers
would be popular, but considering that most maintainers post relevant
information to there respective newsgroups finding new information might be
hard. An interview with the Nethack Devteam would probably be recieved like
Oprah Winfrey scoring on M. Jackson a few years back. Humor relevent to the
subject of roguelikes always seems to be welcomed. If people wanted to
submit something like Nethacks story of Ellora the elvish ranger that was
well recieved if a bit long for an Ezine. A discourse on strategy if well
written would probably be welcomed.
Post by Christopher
Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute
(or I could just steal stuff off R.G.R.* >:-D ). I have played most
roguelike games at least once, but have played ADOM, Nethack (and its
varient SLASH'EM) and Angband (and a few varients) the most. I am also
a frequent reader of R.G.R.*, and keep up to date about updates and
the like. I've been playing roguelikes for a few years.
So, what do you all think?
Well in all honesty I think it could do well, but it will depend on quality.
You have people who have an interest, and while there is a ton of pure
factual information out there, the other side is kind of light. Now here is
the thing to remember, nothing is free. While the games are free, and I can
not see your site being anything other then free, it still requires the time
needed to read it.
Paul E Collins
2004-08-04 08:37:43 UTC
Post by Fitzdraco
annoying midi music.
Tautology :)

P.
Boudewijn Waijers
2004-08-04 17:26:14 UTC
Post by Paul E Collins
Post by Fitzdraco
annoying midi music.
Tautology :)
If you consider "annoying" vs. "midi music", yes.

If you consider "midi" vs. "music", it's a contradictio in terminis.
--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

"So computers are tools of the Devil? thought Newt. He had no problem
believing it. Computers had to be the tools of *somebody*, and all he
knew for certain was that it definitely wasn't him."
- Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, in "Good Omens".
Neodymium
2004-08-04 20:34:14 UTC
Post by Fitzdraco
Post by Christopher
2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
As someone else suggested probably web and email. If you do a webpage
may I offer the following advice. Keep it simple. I do not know HTML and
have never designed a website, but I do know what I hate when I see one.
Busy backgrounds, color schemes that clash and are hard to read, large
pictures on the main page, and annoying midi music.
Don't forget obnoxious advertising. Especially ad banners that hold up the
whole rest of the page instead of the rest of the page loading right away
even if the ad is slow to load; ads that use fancy-schmancy javashit to
animate and stuff instead of using a plain animated gif and therefore
screw up on every browser except IE, often corrupting the content area of
the page making both content *and* ad unreadable and useless for Firefox
users; and so forth. It's almost impossible to go to any gaming-related
web site these days without an experience like this: A logo comes up. Then
six billion "accept cookie?" prompts come up. Then there is a twenty-
minute wait while you wonder if the network's gone down, before finally a
large, annoying animated banner appears, swiftly followed by the rest of
the content. And, in a column on the left, navigation aids, and in a
column on the right, more ads, most of them animated and some playing
sounds. Then, if you're not using IE, some ad scribbles all over the
content itself instead of remaining confined to its bounding-box at the
right side of the page, and if you are using IE, six or seven browser
windows open of their own accord, missing their "close" buttons and other
window controls and full of large animating ads. About half the time, to
add insult to injury the "content" actually turns out to be the site's 404
page, even though it was an "internal" link you followed (one leading to
the same hostname), so they don't even have the excuse that some third-
party site moved or rearranged its URLs; they did so themselves and didn't
update their own links or someone misspelled the link or something. ;P
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
William Peterson
2004-08-04 06:32:01 UTC
Post by Christopher
1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
of time? (Be honest)
2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?
4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?
Unless you, personally, want to do a lot of work, or can persuade
others to do a lot of work, you might consider a Wiki instead. A
webzine requires a continuing amount of work writing entire articles,
while a Wiki only needs to have members of the community contribute a
page now and then. You might look at the ToME Wiki as an example -
http://wiki.t-o-m-e.net/

On the downside, a Wiki does require access to a web site with enough
space, probably a lot more than a webzine.

Bill
Alex Shirrick
2004-08-04 12:44:07 UTC
Post by Christopher
1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
of time? (Be honest)
This is a nice idea, i like it. Should have been proposed long ago,
really.
Post by Christopher
2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
HTML, i think.
Post by Christopher
3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?
It should be available on the web, but there should be a mailing list
as well.
Post by Christopher
4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?
Every interesting thing that concerns roguelike games should find its
way to this webzine.

Here is my proposition: let's start a new post and everyone willing to
offer help should write a few lines about things they can do to help
in the creation of such a magazine so we can see an approximate number
of volunteers.

Best Regards,

Alex
David Damerell
2004-08-04 12:35:02 UTC
Post by Christopher
1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
of time? (Be honest)
The big question you have to ask yourself is; what's it got that rgr*
doesn't?

I'm not saying that's an unanswerable question - but it's a difficult one,
especially since you would be trying to interest people who only play a
subset of roguelikes in articles about other ones.
Post by Christopher
2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
Plain text > good HTML > PDF > foul HTML > Windows-specific formats.
Post by Christopher
3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?
Mailing list, archives on the Web.
Post by Christopher
4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?
Well, to answer my own big question, I would start with articles by fans
of the various roguelikes - not just the majors, but some of the
interesting minor games (Crawl primarily, but Omega? GearHead?) -
describing why they enjoy them.

There is a need for a regular news roundup - new releases, major patches,
etc. anyway.
David Damerell <***@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Otto Martin
2004-08-04 23:28:03 UTC
Post by David Damerell
Post by Christopher
4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?
There is a need for a regular news roundup - new releases, major
patches, etc. anyway.
I'll second this. I only follow the Angband newsgroup, but a weekly update
on new versions, patches, nasty bugs etc. of all roguelikes would be
really useful for those who play different ones, and I wouldn't mind
reading about what's happening with the other roguelikes while checking
through the news about angband variants.

Otto Martin
--
"Chemo-kitties need extra love!"
http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp01142002.html
SZDev - Slash
2004-08-04 16:17:47 UTC
Post by Christopher
[...]
I bought Nintendo Power for 5 years, and I didn't even had a N.E.S. I just
bought it for reading about the games and it was fun. Nobody understood me
tough... but it gave me creativity boosts...
Post by Christopher
1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
of time? (Be honest)
It sounds like a good idea.
Post by Christopher
2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
HTML.
Post by Christopher
3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?
Both
Post by Christopher
4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?
Interviews, Top-5 Roguelikes in Development, ARTICLES!, A Section of MAD
ideas
Previews of games in development, reviews of games...
Post by Christopher
Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute
(or I could just steal stuff off R.G.R.* >:-D ).
I'm up to contribute, I can give one article /week if you want, be it
reviews, previews or anything.

People have no age in Usenet, so don't worry about it
Post by Christopher
I have played most
roguelike games at least once, but have played ADOM, Nethack (and its
varient SLASH'EM) and Angband (and a few varients) the most.
To make the reviews, you must dedicate at least 2 hours to a game... It's
hard to do it but I have been able to play in-dev roguelikes for that time
when they are interesting...
Post by Christopher
I am also
a frequent reader of R.G.R.*, and keep up to date about updates and
the like. I've been playing roguelikes for a few years.
So, what do you all think?
--
SZDev - Slash
Slashing, the Outcast Dragon of the -={UDIC}=-
Weblog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/szdev
Website: http://szdev.cjb.net
Cyde Weys
2004-08-04 17:42:20 UTC
Post by Christopher
[...]
I like it! I'd be interested in contributing some humor pieces or
fanfics.
Post by Christopher
2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
HTML, duhhh :-)
Post by Christopher
3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?
Put it on a site. I can help with the site if you need help.
Post by Christopher
4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?
Funny stuff. Pretty much everything I do online I do because it's
either funny or because I'm learning stuff. Well, you don't really
learn stuff about the real world in Nethack, so it better be funny.
Post by Christopher
Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute
Don't worry, I'm 19 and I'm pretty good at writing. ;-D
Post by Christopher
So, what do you all think?
I think it's a good idea. We need to find a website host and a good
domain name. I'll start looking into that now.
Velvet Elvis
2004-08-04 17:45:13 UTC
Post by Christopher
So, what do you all think?
I dunno, but here's a tile for you: The Yeekly World News
--
MYTHOLOGY, n. The body of a primitive people's beliefs concerning its
origin, early history, heroes, deities and so forth, as distinguished from
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary.
Cyde Weys
2004-08-04 17:47:06 UTC
nhzine.com is free. Unless anyone has a better idea within 24 hours
(that's not taken), I think I'll go with that.
Timofei Shatrov
2004-08-04 18:20:07 UTC
Post by Cyde Weys
nhzine.com is free. Unless anyone has a better idea within 24 hours
(that's not taken), I think I'll go with that.
www.roguelikewebzine.com is probably free too, and suits the original
idea better (it's supposed to be about all roguelikes, not just
NetHack).
--
|Here you can see, how awful I'm at Quake speedrunning| Grue(at)mail.ru|
|E1M1 :29 E1M5 :19 E2M1 :10 E3M2 :22 E4M5 :15,===""================;
|E1M2 :36 E1M6 :11 E2M3 :27 E4M1 :30 E4M6 :24|->grue3.tripod.com<--|
Neodymium
2004-08-04 20:39:43 UTC
Post by Timofei Shatrov
Post by Cyde Weys
nhzine.com is free. Unless anyone has a better idea within 24 hours
(that's not taken), I think I'll go with that.
www.roguelikewebzine.com is probably free too, and suits the original
idea better (it's supposed to be about all roguelikes, not just
NetHack).
That's gonna break peoples' keyboards. I like rlwebzine.com or rlzine.com
better. And consider .net, .org, or other endings that cost less to register
than .com, since this isn't a company selling stuff site. :)
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Mystic Triad
2004-08-05 03:10:32 UTC
Post by Timofei Shatrov
www.roguelikewebzine.com is probably free too, and suits the original
idea better (it's supposed to be about all roguelikes, not just
NetHack).
That's gonna break peoples' keyboards. I like rlwebzine.com or rlzine.com
better. And consider .net, .org, or other endings that cost less to register
than .com, since this isn't a company selling stuff site. :)
That's silly, most people only type a webaddress once or twice. If they like
the site, they bookmark it. There's no need to be obscure or cryptic. I like
www.roguelikewebzine.com or www.roguelikezine.com just fine.

Also, anyone who is charging you more to register a .com is screwing you.
None of my .com names ever cost more than the other extensions, and I've had
my share of both.

BTW, OpenSRS only charges $9.95 to register a domain name, regardless of
extension.

A quick whois lookup shows:
roguelikezine.com is available & every other extension.
roguelikewebzine.com - ditto
roguelikegames.com - ditto (that was a surprise)
roguelikegame.com - ditto
rlzine.com - ditto
rlwebzine.com - ditto

roguelike.com, .net & .org is taken, but .us is available

roguelikenews.com was available, which surprised me, so I registered it.
I'll figure out what to do with it later. :)
Cyde Weys
2004-08-05 03:20:57 UTC
Post by Mystic Triad
roguelikenews.com was available, which surprised me, so I registered
it. I'll figure out what to do with it later. :)
Likewise for me with roguelikes.com
--
~ Cyde Weys ~
Bite my shiny metal ass.
Neodymium
2004-08-05 03:31:48 UTC
Post by Neodymium
than .com, since this isn't a company selling stuff site. :)
That's silly, most people only type a webaddress once or twice. If they
like the site, they bookmark it.
If they like hundreds of sites, they bookmark them all, then can't find
the one they're looking for in that mess, and type in the URL from memory.
;P
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Timofei Shatrov
2004-08-05 03:47:43 UTC
Post by Neodymium
than .com, since this isn't a company selling stuff site. :)
That's silly, most people only type a webaddress once or twice. If they like
the site, they bookmark it.
I'm too lazy to bookmark www.magicthegathering.com, and got a habit of
typing it very fast.
Christopher
2004-08-05 04:33:23 UTC
Hello again everyone. Thanks to everyone who replied, the comments are
great.

After much (well, not very much actually) consideration I've decided
I'll go ahead with it. All those positive comments made me feel it was
a good idea, and worth doing. All those, uh, not so possitive comments
made me realise that yes it wont have anything R.G.R.* doesn't, and
yeah it may crash and burn after a month or so, but that makes it seem
less important, so if it *does* fail I wont feel so bad. So now I'm
spending some time planning the Ezine. Which leaves me with just a few
more questions:

1. What would be a good name? Remember that this is will be an Ezine
for all roguelikes great and small, from the all mighty Nethack down
to the barely known Ivan. It will have both serious tactics and
humour, along with news and feedback etc. So it needs a name to
summurise everything.

2. What would be a reasonable length? It'll (hopefully) come out once
a month (yeah I extended it, there's a lot of work in a magazine, and
even more when I'm using HTML). Too much and it'll be boring to read
it all, but too small and it might become not worth reading.

3. Content? So far I'm pretty sure I'll have a humour section (funny
messages, the more humourous posts from Usenet, maybe a stupid death
or two), an 'under the spotlight' review of a lesser known roguelike
or varient, and a section for links to roguelike sites. What kind of
thing would *you* enjoy reading each month?

4. Whats all this about getting a domain name??? I'm confused... all
I've got is a free 20 megabyte site from Westnet (my ISP).

Thanks again everyone! :-)
Björn Bergström
2004-08-05 06:30:37 UTC
Post by Christopher
[...]
If you decide to use HTML and have the zine online you can either put it
on some kind of free webspace and get a name related to that service, for
instance westnet.com/roguelikezine or similar. If you want to you can
register your own domain, ie www.roguelikezine.org, and tie that domain to
some webspace. Most probably you ISP doesn't allow you to point
www.roguelikezine.org to your 20Mb of webspace. This means that you'll
have to buy webspace from a webhotel and point your domain there instead.
The domain costs about 10$ and the price for space at a webhotel can vary
from anywhere between 10-100$ per year depending on a number of factors
like number of Mb space, database support and so on.

I would prefer plain text or html (not pdf) distributed via a mailinglist
and on the usenet.
Post by Christopher
Thanks again everyone! :-)
--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Nevon
2004-08-06 06:53:25 UTC
Post by Christopher
After much (well, not very much actually) consideration I've decided
I'll go ahead with it. All those positive comments made me feel it was
a good idea, and worth doing. All those, uh, not so possitive comments
made me realise that yes it wont have anything R.G.R.* doesn't, and
yeah it may crash and burn after a month or so, but that makes it seem
less important, so if it *does* fail I wont feel so bad. So now I'm
spending some time planning the Ezine. Which leaves me with just a few
Just my two cents. Maybe you could start small, just by posting this webzine
in plain text over usenet groups for 3-4 months. This would give you the
idea of how much work would it require, it would familiarize people with it
and in the meantime you could work on HTML version. After this test period
you could decide whether your up to full version and if the zine will be
actually read be people.

I'm suggesting this option, because I've already seen/participated in a few
projects which wanted to start big and they either didn't start at all or
were canceled/closed after a short time.

Nevon
Archibald
2004-08-10 11:05:49 UTC
Post by Christopher
Hello again everyone. Thanks to everyone who replied, the comments are
great.
1. What would be a good name? Remember that this is will be an Ezine
for all roguelikes great and small, from the all mighty Nethack down
to the barely known Ivan. It will have both serious tactics and
humour, along with news and feedback etc. So it needs a name to
summurise everything.
Roguelike E-zine, Roguelike Web Zine, Dungeon Crawlers Magazine (or
something like that, it doesn't matter so much, more important is what's
inside)
Post by Christopher
2. What would be a reasonable length? It'll (hopefully) come out once
a month (yeah I extended it, there's a lot of work in a magazine, and
even more when I'm using HTML). Too much and it'll be boring to read
it all, but too small and it might become not worth reading.
As much as you can (it won't be boring, because reader usually don't
read whole content, only the things he/she likes).
Post by Christopher
3. Content? So far I'm pretty sure I'll have a humour section (funny
messages, the more humourous posts from Usenet, maybe a stupid death
or two), an 'under the spotlight' review of a lesser known roguelike
or varient, and a section for links to roguelike sites. What kind of
thing would *you* enjoy reading each month?
I would read: news (both new roguelikes and sites), humour, rl-
development section, comix, from time to time polemics (two people
arguing about the roguelike definition or something :D).
Post by Christopher
4. Whats all this about getting a domain name??? I'm confused... all
I've got is a free 20 megabyte site from Westnet (my ISP).
Don't worry for now. Just do the magazine. If it will be good enough,
other people will get a domain name for you :)

Dont' forget to made it downloadable (zip file), not only online. (this
way I would still have the first issue of the zine on my HD, after you
lose interest and abandom it ;) )

Good luck.
Archibald
5parrow
2004-08-10 14:03:18 UTC
Post by Archibald
Post by Christopher
Hello again everyone. Thanks to everyone who replied, the comments are
great.
1. What would be a good name? Remember that this is will be an Ezine
for all roguelikes great and small, from the all mighty Nethack down
to the barely known Ivan. It will have both serious tactics and
humour, along with news and feedback etc. So it needs a name to
summurise everything.
Roguelike E-zine, Roguelike Web Zine, Dungeon Crawlers Magazine (or
something like that, it doesn't matter so much, more important is what's
inside)
You could just call it "Rogue". I don't think anyone's going to confuse
the 'zine with the game, and it should be fairly self-evident that it's
about rogue_like_s rather than just the original.

Silly idea: parody "Vogue" magazine covers. ("Dwarven mithril coat
courtesy of Asidonhopo's; "oR model's own.")
--
- 5parrowhawk (to email, please rearrange for the mail server at
Georgia Institute of Technology).

() ascii ribbon campaign | what "yaoi" really
/\ - against html e-mail | stands for:
- against M$ attachments | "yamete, oshiri itai".
Foxman
2004-08-10 14:06:56 UTC
Post by Christopher
[...]
The Monthly Roguelike?
Rogueaholics Anonymous?
Temple of the RNG?
Post by Christopher
2. What would be a reasonable length? It'll (hopefully) come out once
a month (yeah I extended it, there's a lot of work in a magazine, and
even more when I'm using HTML). Too much and it'll be boring to read
it all, but too small and it might become not worth reading.
That's a question of personal preference IMAO - you can't please
everybody, so please yourself. Personally, I'd say it's better to err
on the side of lengthiness.
Post by Christopher
3. Content? So far I'm pretty sure I'll have a humour section (funny
messages, the more humourous posts from Usenet, maybe a stupid death
or two), an 'under the spotlight' review of a lesser known roguelike
or varient, and a section for links to roguelike sites. What kind of
thing would *you* enjoy reading each month?
Definitely some YASDs and other humour. The 'under the spotlight'
review's a great idea - maybe add some more info on the game you
feature as well (tactics, maybe an interview with the creator or a
player, that sort of thing)? Announcing important news (new releases
etc.) would be nice as well, as long as it encompassed all roguelikes
- not just Angband, Nethack etc.

There's an interesting idea emerging on the ToME forums - Day In The
Life threads. The basic idea is that as you play a character in ToME,
you note down a full account of the game and post it to the forums in
chapters. They often contain strategy tips for newbies. I've probably
explained this badly, so here's an example (Slappy the Wood-Elf Monk):

http://wiki.t-o-m-e.net/DayInTheLifeArchive_2fSlappy

A similar feature in the webzine using different variants and
roguelikes would be very interesting - it would allow people to get a
feeling for the game before playing it.

One other thing - I realise this may well be infeasible, and I'm not
sure how much demand there is, but I think a section on how some of
the open source roguelikes work (source-wise) would be extremely
useful - for example, it's fairly difficult to find out how to (random
example) add a new type of monster blow in Angband without spending a
lot of time source-diving.
Post by Christopher
4. Whats all this about getting a domain name??? I'm confused... all
I've got is a free 20 megabyte site from Westnet (my ISP).
I wouldn't bother with a domain name to start with - go for a free
host without many ads (and no popups). That way you can test the idea
of a newsletter without anyone putting money in, then start worrying
about the domain name later. You might even be able to get hosted on
oook if the trial run goes well.
R. Alan Monroe
2004-08-11 01:40:27 UTC
Post by Foxman
One other thing - I realise this may well be infeasible, and I'm not
sure how much demand there is, but I think a section on how some of
the open source roguelikes work (source-wise) would be extremely
useful - for example, it's fairly difficult to find out how to (random
example) add a new type of monster blow in Angband without spending a
lot of time source-diving.
This is an excellent idea!

Alan
Christopher
2004-08-11 04:26:17 UTC
<snip intro>
Hey! Thats a great idea! Rogue-@holics monthly! :-)
<more snip>
Michael Blackney
2004-08-11 01:06:40 UTC
Post by Christopher
[...]
Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
Bulletin. Then YARNS and (and IIRC Roguelke News II) came out and all
vied for attention, so I gracefully abandoned all the effort :) Of
all the logos I did, I found two floating around -

The funky
and the more traditional
Post by Christopher
2. What would be a reasonable length? It'll (hopefully) come out once
a month (yeah I extended it, there's a lot of work in a magazine, and
even more when I'm using HTML). Too much and it'll be boring to read
it all, but too small and it might become not worth reading.
17 pages.
Post by Christopher
3. Content? So far I'm pretty sure I'll have a humour section (funny
messages, the more humourous posts from Usenet, maybe a stupid death
or two), an 'under the spotlight' review of a lesser known roguelike
or varient, and a section for links to roguelike sites. What kind of
thing would *you* enjoy reading each month?
I think that an interesting idea is to have once-and-for-all celebrity
arguments (celebrity in the RL community sense) to settle the big
questions: ASCII vs Graphics; vi vs Num Pad; etc. Tongue in cheek may
make it readable, though the main purpose would be to stop anybody
else from getting into the argument again in the near future.

And maybe try to get interviews from roguelike fans from different
fields (like, say, the guys from Gamespot who wrote the Nethack
article). Let the world know that it's okay to have a terminal
fondness for ASCII.
Post by Christopher
4. Whats all this about getting a domain name??? I'm confused... all
I've got is a free 20 megabyte site from Westnet (my ISP).
If you're planning on this becoming even remotely popular, you ought
to think carefully before choosing a web host. There are many horror
stories of unforseeably popular websites that cost the owner tens of
thousands of dollars once the traffic exceeded the free bandwidth.
Now this is extremely uncommon, but even having to pay $100 would be a
PITA. I'm sure that somebody else already explained the difference
between web and domain hosting, so I won't bother with that.

Good luck! Now go make sure that this 'Zine isn't vapourware.
--
michaelblackney at hotmail dot com
http://aburatan.sourceforge.net/
Latest version 0.95 2-5-4
Neodymium
2004-08-11 02:35:13 UTC
Post by Michael Blackney
Post by Christopher
[...]
What?
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Michael Blackney
2004-08-11 05:51:36 UTC
Post by Michael Blackney
Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
Bulletin. Then YARNS...
What?
Eh?
Post by Neodymium
Post by Michael Blackney
I think that an interesting idea is to have once-and-for-all celebrity
arguments (celebrity in the RL community sense) to settle the big
questions: ASCII vs Graphics; vi vs Num Pad; etc. Tongue in cheek may
make it readable, though the main purpose would be to stop anybody
else from getting into the argument again in the near future.
ASCII isthe One True Way. Vi is vile -- modeful interfaces stuck. Just Say
No to vi. There is no editor but Emacs and Meta is His prophet. And all
that.
Yeah like that, but a little less fanatic and a little more on topic.
Post by Neodymium
Was it *really* necessary to post 2 copies of this?
No less necessary than quoting the whole thing just to make a comment
that presumes that I make more mistakes than my newsreader... or
should I make fun of you for replying to the same post three times :p
Latest version 0.95 2-5-4
Topi Linkala
2004-08-11 06:22:42 UTC
Post by Michael Blackney
Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
Bulletin. Then YARNS...
What?
Eh?
YARNS?

That's not even on rgrn-FAQ.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
"How come he didn't put 'I think' at the end of it?" - Anonymous
Panu Lahtinen
2004-08-11 06:35:40 UTC
Post by Michael Blackney
Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
Bulletin. Then YARNS...
What?
Eh?
YARNS?
Yet Another Roguelike News Stopped?
--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",
Twoflower in "The Light Fantastic"
Neodymium
2004-08-11 08:00:06 UTC
Post by Panu Lahtinen
Post by Michael Blackney
Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
Bulletin. Then YARNS...
What?
Eh?
YARNS?
Yet Another Roguelike News Stopped?
Hrm, perhaps. It's still an undefined symbol error. It's not a standard
net acronym, or stock Angband-related one like YASD or RoPR, but from the
context and capitalization I somehow don't think it's meant to be the
English plural of "yarn" either...
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Neodymium
2004-08-11 07:58:15 UTC
Post by Michael Blackney
Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
Bulletin. Then YARNS...
What?
Eh?
Oh, sorry, lost my train of thought. Where was I? Oh yeah. ERROR: Parse
error on line 9 after "Then". Compilation failed. Undefined external symbol.
Reboot!
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Mike Blackney
2004-08-11 08:09:35 UTC
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://yarns.felis7.civ.pl/
Latest version 0.95 2-5-4
R. Dan Henry
2004-08-11 20:43:14 UTC
Post by Michael Blackney
Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I
did a lot of work on a successor site that would have been
called Roguelike Bulletin. Then YARNS...
What?
Eh?
Parse error on line 9 after "Then". Compilation failed. Undefined
external symbol. Reboot!
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://yarns.felis7.civ.pl/
Of course, the nature of YARNS was obvious from the context. Use of
context to understand unfamiliar words is very basic reading skills.
My mother teaches this to children in 7th and 8th grade -- who are
several grades behind in reading level. For someone who tries as hard
to seem intelligent as Neo does (as long as it requires no actual
effort on his part), failure to demonstrate such basic literacy
*should* be embarrassing, but he seems to also lack any social
awareness of when he's playing the village idiot.

To spell it out for Neo and the learning-impaired chimps among our
readership: Michael was going to create a successor site to Roguelike
News (i.e., a roguelike news page). But then two other sites appeared
(one of them YARNS) which made Michael feel his effort was
unnecessary. This only makes sense if they were roguelike news
websites (since he thought the other was called "Roguelike News II",
this provides further confirmation). Thus, YARNS was roguelike news
site that came out after the collapse of Roguelike News.

Advanced reader will note that Roguelike News Site has the initials
RNS, leaving YA... a common abbreviation of "Yet Another..." on
roguelike newsgroups. Thus the astute reader might guess that YARNS
stood for Yet Another Roguelike News Site.

Richard Daniel Henry
***@inreach.com
Jeff Lait
2004-08-12 02:39:41 UTC
Post by Michael Blackney
Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I
did a lot of work on a successor site that would have been
called Roguelike Bulletin. Then YARNS...
What?
Eh?
Parse error on line 9 after "Then". Compilation failed. Undefined
external symbol. Reboot!
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://yarns.felis7.civ.pl/
Of course, the nature of YARNS was obvious from the context. Use of
context to understand unfamiliar words is very basic reading skills.
Of course, sometimes context fails. Or, one may have a vague idea
from context, but realize you need a more detailed explanation. The
beauty of usenet is that it is not a realtime conversation. You can,
at your leisure, look up a word you don't understand. This is
preferable to bothering someone else for the answer, as you can then
save that for when a quick research fails.

As it is, typing "roguelike YARNS" into google swiftly reveals the
nature of the word, so asking for an explanation is just laziness.
(Mind you, as the request for an explanation provided so little
context as to require another entire exchange to complete, there is
little need to expand on that accusation)
--
Jeff Lait
Topi Linkala
2004-08-12 07:02:35 UTC
Post by Jeff Lait
As it is, typing "roguelike YARNS" into google swiftly reveals the
nature of the word, so asking for an explanation is just laziness.
(Mind you, as the request for an explanation provided so little
context as to require another entire exchange to complete, there is
little need to expand on that accusation)
No. Using non-standard acronyms that are not defined is unpolite. rgrn
uses several acronyms that are defined in our FAQs but YARNS is not one
of them.

Think it like this:

If I use an unknown acronym in my message and define it, it takes couple
of seconds for me to do that. Let's say it takes 15 seconds.

On the other hand if _I'm lazy_ and don't do that then it takes more
time from each reader that has to search the net for it's meaning. Let's
say it takes 30 seconds from each.

So I'm excahnging 15 seconds of my time to 30 seconds of per person who
has to do the search. If that's not rude I don't know what is.

Topi
Glen Wheeler
2004-08-12 07:15:24 UTC
Post by Topi Linkala
Post by Jeff Lait
As it is, typing "roguelike YARNS" into google swiftly reveals the
nature of the word, so asking for an explanation is just laziness.
(Mind you, as the request for an explanation provided so little
context as to require another entire exchange to complete, there is
little need to expand on that accusation)
No. Using non-standard acronyms that are not defined is unpolite. rgrn
uses several acronyms that are defined in our FAQs but YARNS is not one
of them.
[..]
Granted. But you've never heard of YARNS? And couldn't immediately work
it otherwise?

Ah well.
--
Glen
L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
Neodymium
2004-08-12 07:52:07 UTC
Post by Topi Linkala
Post by Jeff Lait
[...]
Finally, someone on Usenet other than me sees the light! ;P
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Mike Blackney
2004-08-12 09:32:39 UTC
Post by Topi Linkala
Post by Jeff Lait
As it is, typing "roguelike YARNS" into google swiftly reveals the
nature of the word, so asking for an explanation is just laziness.
(Mind you, as the request for an explanation provided so little
context as to require another entire exchange to complete, there is
little need to expand on that accusation)
No. Using non-standard acronyms that are not defined is unpolite. rgrn
uses several acronyms that are defined in our FAQs but YARNS is not
one of them.
YARNS is the name of a popular roguelike news website. This thread is
crossposted to 5 newsgroups, all of which are roguelike themed. That's
enough for me to assume that much of my audience will know what it is.
BTW the word is 'impolite', and I'm not DLDSM through RRLMA banana
TOXNN. WTHEA? Ha! You haven't PPJAMDSNENT.

FWIW I'm sorry.
Latest version 0.95 2-5-4
Iain
2004-08-12 15:57:33 UTC
Post by Mike Blackney
YARNS is the name of a popular roguelike news website. This thread is
crossposted to 5 newsgroups, all of which are roguelike themed. That's
enough for me to assume that much of my audience will know what it is.
I didn't know that and I've been reading rgra for a good few years now
but I don't check out the other rgr* groups. Thanks for the
enlightenment.
Post by Mike Blackney
BTW the word is 'impolite', and I'm not
Nice, correcting someone's spelling. Very cool. Make you seem so
much more knowledgeable
Post by Mike Blackney
DLDSM
seems to be a cheat code for an XBox game
Post by Mike Blackney
RRLMA
TOXNN
PPJAMDSNENT
Turned up nothing of note so I guess you're just being a complete
muppet.
Post by Mike Blackney
WTHEA
West Tennessee Home Education Association?
Post by Mike Blackney
Ha!
Ha??? you made such a great contribution and scored such a resounding
point! You can now wear your 'tosser of the 1st order' badge with
pride.

:)

Iain
Michael Blackney
2004-08-12 23:29:36 UTC
Post by Iain
Post by Mike Blackney
YARNS is the name of a popular roguelike news website. This thread is
crossposted to 5 newsgroups, all of which are roguelike themed. That's
enough for me to assume that much of my audience will know what it is.
I didn't know that and I've been reading rgra for a good few years now
but I don't check out the other rgr* groups. Thanks for the
enlightenment.
Any time.
Post by Mike Blackney
Ha!
Ha??? you made such a great contribution and scored such a resounding
point! You can now wear your 'tosser of the 1st order' badge with
pride.
My contribution was a light-hearted joke. I wasn't correcting his
spelling, but the joke of ending a sentence in a mass of undefined
acronyms worked better when the sentence started argumentatively.
Maybe it was a bad joke or maybe it went over your head. Who can say?

Now if all the other newsgroups will please excuse me, I'm going back
to rgrd where nobody is this easily upset.
Latest version 0.95 2-5-4
Kornel Kisielewicz
2004-08-12 23:44:33 UTC
Post by Michael Blackney
My contribution was a light-hearted joke. I wasn't correcting his
spelling, but the joke of ending a sentence in a mass of undefined
acronyms worked better when the sentence started argumentatively.
Maybe it was a bad joke or maybe it went over your head. Who can say?
Now if all the other newsgroups will please excuse me, I'm going back
to rgrd where nobody is this easily upset.
Kheh, another one to notice, that except from some ocasional Davidisms, and
Wanginsms rgrd is a realy polite, friendly and helpful newsgroup as for the
Usenet? :)

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
RecRanger
YARNS is temporarily down, supposedly. Anyone know its status?
Kornel Kisielewicz
2004-08-12 23:12:01 UTC
Post by RecRanger
Post by Mike Blackney
Post by Topi Linkala
Post by Jeff Lait
[...]
I do ;)

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Maintainer of YARNS

P.S. I've got the site backed up on my HD, unfortunately not the database.
Adam Kubiak supposedly has the dbase, but I lost contact with him. I have no
place yet to set the site up again but this may change in a year or so, when
I get true broadband and set up a server or two at my house...
Neodymium
2004-08-12 23:35:05 UTC
Post by Mike Blackney
Post by Topi Linkala
Post by Jeff Lait
As it is, typing "roguelike YARNS" into google swiftly reveals the
nature of the word, so asking for an explanation is just laziness.
(Mind you, as the request for an explanation provided so little
context as to require another entire exchange to complete, there is
little need to expand on that accusation)
No. Using non-standard acronyms that are not defined is unpolite. rgrn
uses several acronyms that are defined in our FAQs but YARNS is not
one of them.
YARNS is the name of a popular roguelike news website. This thread is
crossposted to 5 newsgroups, all of which are roguelike themed. That's
enough for me to assume that much of my audience will know what it is.
BTW the word is 'impolite', and I'm not DLDSM through RRLMA banana
TOXNN. WTHEA? Ha! You haven't PPJAMDSNENT.
FWIW I'm sorry.
Yeah, and I'm the president's mother. ;P
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Bateau
2004-08-12 15:10:24 UTC
God damn what a bunch of whiney fags!
Post by Topi Linkala
Post by Jeff Lait
[...]
.-'`-.
/ | | \
/ | | \
|___|_|__ |
||<o>| <o>`|
|| J_ )|
`|`-'__`-'|/
| `--' |
.-| |_
.-' \ / | |`-.
.-' `. /| | \
/ ````' | | \
|_____ | | L
.-' ___ `-. F F | | ||`-.___
.'.-' | `-. `. J J / | || _.>
/ /| | |`. \ | | |/ | ||_.-'
/ / | | | `. `. F F | |==============================
J / | | | \ L J J | | `:::::::. `:::::::.
FJ | | | |L J/ / | \ :::::::. :::::::\
J |() | () | () | () | J L/ | | ::::::: :::::::L
| F | .-'_ \ | | LJ | / L :::::::: :::::::J
| L | / \\ | | | L | | :::::::: ::::::::L
| L || ):|| | | | /| L :::::::: ::::::::|
J | ||:._.'::|| | | |----' | | :::::::: ::::::::| .---.
J | |J:::::::|| | | | _/\ | :::::::: ::::::::| /(@ o`.
LJ | \:::::/ | | | |---'\ | | :::::::: ::::::::| | /^^^
J L | `-:-' | | | F | \ | J :::::::: ::::::::| \ . \vvv
LJ()| () | () | () | F F | \ \--._L :::::::: ::::::::| \ `--'
J \ | | | | J J \ | | :::::::: ::::::::| \ `.
\ \| | | | / / | | | :::::::: ::::::::| L \
\ \ | | |/ /| | | .-'| :::::::: ::::::::| | \
`.`. | | .'.' | | |/ /`L :::::::: ::::::::| | L
| `.`-.____|.-'.-' | | | <`. \ :::::::: ::::::::| | |
| | `-.______.-' | \| |_`::\ `. :::::::: ::::::::| F |
| J\ | | | | /: \::. \:::::::: ::::::::F / |
| L\|--| | _.--|:: `::\ `.:::::: .:::::::J / F
J J |\\|-.____ |__.-' |: \::. \:::: ::::::::F .' J
L \| >|| `--' J |' .`::\ `.:' .::::::::/ .' F
J |//JJ | L |---. .--\::. \---. .---. <---< J
L |< |J |\=/| ( _ \=/ _ `::\ `. \=/ _ \=/ _ \ /
J |\\|J | | / )_) | (_) \::. \ | (_) | (_) | /
\ |--|J |//\\ / //\ //`::\ `./\ //\ / .'
\| |L ` )/ )` `' '|`---// `---// `\::. \ `---// `---' .'
VK________| L_\ ' /___/ ' | |___//______//_____`::\ |___//_________.'_________
F F J`` -'| | | | | \:_|
`-' | "" | J ` |
| | L | |\ |\ /| /| |\ /|
| | \ | | \ | \ // // | \ || |\
J | `. | ||\\ ||\\ // // ||\\ || ||
L F )`---\ || >> || \\ / | << || \\ || ||
| J / `. ||// || || //|| \\ || || || ||
J J ( `-. |// | \ || |/ || \\ | \ || || ||
`-.__/ `---. `. |<< ||\\|| || >> ||\\|| || ||
| J `. ) ||\\ || \ | || // || \ | || ||
/ | `-----' || >> || || || // || || \\ ||
/ F ||// || || || << || || \\||
J J | / |/ || |/ \\ |/ || \ |
J | |/ \| \| \| \|
`-.-' K I N G O F T H E M O N S T E R S
Neodymium
2004-08-12 23:44:09 UTC
For posting that comment you ought to be killfiled.

For posting that .sig you ought to be shot.

For crossposting a 400-line sig to half of Usenet you ought to be boiled in
oil and *then* shot.

HTH. HAND.
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Radoslaw Grzanka
2004-08-13 00:07:42 UTC
Post by Neodymium
For posting that comment you ought to be killfiled.
For posting that .sig you ought to be shot.
For crossposting a 400-line sig to half of Usenet you ought to be boiled in
oil and *then* shot.
HTH. HAND.
You forgot to mention topposting. :P

Cheers,
Radoslaw.
--
"Oceniają mnie, choć nic o mnie nie wiedzą. To dlatego jestem sam" - Shrek
e-mail: sad[na]rpg[kropka]pl JID: radekg[na]chrome[kropka]pl
L:C++ E+++ T-- !R P+++ D G++ F:ADoM RL--- !RLA W:CP Q++ AI++ RN+ Hp- Re++ S+
Neodymium
2004-08-13 00:12:53 UTC
Post by Radoslaw Grzanka
Post by Neodymium
For posting that comment you ought to be killfiled.
For posting that .sig you ought to be shot.
For crossposting a 400-line sig to half of Usenet you ought to be
boiled in oil and *then* shot.
HTH. HAND.
You forgot to mention topposting. :P
Goes without saying that he should be dunked headfirst into a steaming heap
of cow manure for that one.
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Kornel Kisielewicz
2004-08-13 00:52:15 UTC
Post by Neodymium
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
rec.games.roguelike.angband, Radoslaw Grzanka
Post by Radoslaw Grzanka
Post by Neodymium
For posting that comment you ought to be killfiled.
For posting that .sig you ought to be shot.
For crossposting a 400-line sig to half of Usenet you ought to be
boiled in oil and *then* shot.
HTH. HAND.
You forgot to mention topposting. :P
Goes without saying that he should be dunked headfirst into a
steaming heap of cow manure for that one.
Oh he's a rgrd regular -- just ignore him. He's one the only person posting
on rgrd that half of the group has killfiled ;).

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Neodymium
2004-08-13 01:52:06 UTC
Post by Radoslaw Grzanka
Post by Neodymium
For posting that comment you ought to be killfiled.
For posting that .sig you ought to be shot.
For crossposting a 400-line sig to half of Usenet you ought to be
boiled in oil and *then* shot.
HTH. HAND.
You forgot to mention topposting. :P
Goes without saying that he should be dunked headfirst into a
steaming heap of cow manure for that one.
Oh he's a rgrd regular -- just ignore him. He's one the only person posting
on rgrd that half of the group has killfiled ;).
Isn't anyone going to point out that he also quoted excessively, so I can
respond with how he should be dunked headfirst up the cow's rectum for
that one? ;P
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Martin Dann
2004-08-13 03:25:39 UTC
Post by Neodymium
Isn't anyone going to point out that he also quoted excessively, so I can
respond with how he should be dunked headfirst up the cow's rectum for
that one? ;P
Top posters 99% of the time also quote excessively, they two go hand
in hand.

Martin.
--
Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.
Neodymium
2004-08-13 03:41:42 UTC
Post by Martin Dann
Post by Neodymium
Isn't anyone going to point out that he also quoted excessively, so I can
respond with how he should be dunked headfirst up the cow's rectum for
that one? ;P
Top posters 99% of the time also quote excessively, they two go hand
in hand.
That's why the punishments I proposed for the two offenses are so similar.
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Jonathan Ellis
2004-08-13 03:28:24 UTC
Post by Radoslaw Grzanka
Post by Neodymium
For posting that comment you ought to be killfiled.
For posting that .sig you ought to be shot.
For crossposting a 400-line sig to half of Usenet you ought to be
boiled in oil and *then* shot.
HTH. HAND.
You forgot to mention topposting. :P
Goes without saying that he should be dunked headfirst into a
steaming heap of cow manure for that one.
Oh he's a rgrd regular -- just ignore him. He's one the only person posting
on rgrd that half of the group has killfiled ;).
And Neo is the person posting on r.g.r.a that half of *this* group has
killfiled...

Jonathan.
Kornel Kisielewicz
2004-08-13 05:46:07 UTC
Post by Jonathan Ellis
Post by Kornel Kisielewicz
Post by Neodymium
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
rec.games.roguelike.angband, Radoslaw Grzanka
Oh he's a rgrd regular -- just ignore him. He's one the only person
posting on rgrd that half of the group has killfiled ;).
And Neo is the person posting on r.g.r.a that half of *this* group has
killfiled...
I wonder why ;)

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Bateau
2004-08-13 05:30:21 UTC
Post by Neodymium
For posting that comment you ought to be killfiled.
For posting that .sig you ought to be shot.
For crossposting a 400-line sig to half of Usenet you ought to be boiled in
oil and *then* shot.
HTH. HAND.
Didn't I just call you guys fags for being so whiney about 'etiquette'?
Learn your fucking lesson already.
--
.-'`-.
/ | | \
/ | | \
|___|_|__ |
||<o>| <o>`|
|| J_ )|
`|`-'__`-'|/
| `--' |
.-| |_
.-' \ / | |`-.
.-' `. /| | \
/ ````' | | \
|_____ | | L
.-' ___ `-. F F | | ||`-.___
.'.-' | `-. `. J J / | || _.>
/ /| | |`. \ | | |/ | ||_.-'
/ / | | | `. `. F F | |==============================
J / | | | \ L J J | | `:::::::. `:::::::.
FJ | | | |L J/ / | \ :::::::. :::::::\
J |() | () | () | () | J L/ | | ::::::: :::::::L
| F | .-'_ \ | | LJ | / L :::::::: :::::::J
| L | / \\ | | | L | | :::::::: ::::::::L
| L || ):|| | | | /| L :::::::: ::::::::|
J | ||:._.'::|| | | |----' | | :::::::: ::::::::| .---.
J | |J:::::::|| | | | _/\ | :::::::: ::::::::| /(@ o`.
LJ | \:::::/ | | | |---'\ | | :::::::: ::::::::| | /^^^
J L | `-:-' | | | F | \ | J :::::::: ::::::::| \ . \vvv
LJ()| () | () | () | F F | \ \--._L :::::::: ::::::::| \ `--'
J \ | | | | J J \ | | :::::::: ::::::::| \ `.
\ \| | | | / / | | | :::::::: ::::::::| L \
\ \ | | |/ /| | | .-'| :::::::: ::::::::| | \
`.`. | | .'.' | | |/ /`L :::::::: ::::::::| | L
| `.`-.____|.-'.-' | | | <`. \ :::::::: ::::::::| | |
| | `-.______.-' | \| |_`::\ `. :::::::: ::::::::| F |
| J\ | | | | /: \::. \:::::::: ::::::::F / |
| L\|--| | _.--|:: `::\ `.:::::: .:::::::J / F
J J |\\|-.____ |__.-' |: \::. \:::: ::::::::F .' J
L \| >|| `--' J |' .`::\ `.:' .::::::::/ .' F
J |//JJ | L |---. .--\::. \---. .---. <---< J
L |< |J |\=/| ( _ \=/ _ `::\ `. \=/ _ \=/ _ \ /
J |\\|J | | / )_) | (_) \::. \ | (_) | (_) | /
\ |--|J |//\\ / //\ //`::\ `./\ //\ / .'
\| |L ` )/ )` `' '|`---// `---// `\::. \ `---// `---' .'
VK________| L_\ ' /___/ ' | |___//______//_____`::\ |___//_________.'_________
F F J`` -'| | | | | \:_|
`-' | "" | J ` |
| | L | |\ |\ /| /| |\ /|
| | \ | | \ | \ // // | \ || |\
J | `. | ||\\ ||\\ // // ||\\ || ||
L F )`---\ || >> || \\ / | << || \\ || ||
| J / `. ||// || || //|| \\ || || || ||
J J ( `-. |// | \ || |/ || \\ | \ || || ||
`-.__/ `---. `. |<< ||\\|| || >> ||\\|| || ||
| J `. ) ||\\ || \ | || // || \ | || ||
/ | `-----' || >> || || || // || || \\ ||
/ F ||// || || || << || || \\||
J J | / |/ || |/ \\ |/ || \ |
J | |/ \| \| \| \|
`-.-' K I N G O F T H E M O N S T E R S
Neodymium
2004-08-12 07:50:45 UTC
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
rec.games.roguelike.angband, R. Dan Henry <***@inreach.com> set up us
this post:

[Insulting twaddle deleted]
Post by R. Dan Henry
Michael was going to create a successor site to Roguelike
News (i.e., a roguelike news page). But then two other sites appeared
(one of them YARNS)...
Eh? In its original context YARNS looked like a verb (Blah blah blah, and
then YARNS...) and now it looks like a noun and site name?
Post by R. Dan Henry
Advanced reader will note that Roguelike News Site has the initials
RNS, leaving YA... a common abbreviation of "Yet Another..." on
roguelike newsgroups. Thus the astute reader might guess that YARNS
stood for Yet Another Roguelike News Site.
It's not my job to make blind guesses at trying to decipher unfamiliar
acronyms; it's the writer's job to communicate clearly in the first place so
that the readership does not need to guess.
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Julian Lighton
2004-08-12 09:25:35 UTC
Post by R. Dan Henry
Michael was going to create a successor site to Roguelike
News (i.e., a roguelike news page). But then two other sites appeared
(one of them YARNS)...
Eh? In its original context YARNS looked like a verb (Blah blah blah, and
then YARNS...) and now it looks like a noun and site name?
Yes. When somebody says, (paraphrased) "I was going to make a
roguelike news site, but then (foo) and (bar) appeared, so I didn't",
it is self-evident that (foo) and (bar) are roguelike news sites. The
fact that foo's name is an acronym, and the expansion thereof, are at
best of peripheral interest.
Post by Neodymium
Post by R. Dan Henry
Advanced reader will note that Roguelike News Site has the initials
RNS, leaving YA... a common abbreviation of "Yet Another..." on
roguelike newsgroups. Thus the astute reader might guess that YARNS
stood for Yet Another Roguelike News Site.
It's not my job to make blind guesses at trying to decipher unfamiliar
acronyms; it's the writer's job to communicate clearly in the first place so
that the readership does not need to guess.
It's not like you just couldn't figure out this one weird thing - you
do this all the time. You see something unfamiliar, and your first
reaction is to post a followup asking what it means, without even
making an attempt yourself to comprehend ot look it up, even when
looking it up would take about as much effort on your part as posting
the inquiry.

And when you're criticized for it, you have the gall to attempt to
justify yourself, arguing that it is the other person's job to make
sure that you understand. Communication is a two-way process. It's the
speaker's job to attempt to be clear, and it's the listener's job to
put some effort into trying to understand what's being said. To ask
the other party to do all the work is just plain impolite.

You will, of course, dismiss this comment as "insulting twaddle" or
some such. This lets you dismiss the possibility that you might
actually be in the wrong.
Neodymium
2004-08-12 23:31:57 UTC
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
You see something unfamiliar, and your first reaction is to post a
followup asking what it means, without even making an attempt yourself
comprehend ot look it up, even when looking it up would take about as
much
effort on your part as posting the inquiry.
If I just quietly looked it up, was enlightened, and went on my way I'd be
being a very selfish bastard. Instead I endure flames and ridicule
sometimes to make the effort to point out to the original poster that they
failed to communicate clearly and had their readership scrambling to start
up slow and wonky browsers to use search engines, rather than hanging on
their every word. Only if attention is brought to the fact that the
original posting was not easily understood with only common knowledge is
the original poster going to know better the next time they post.
And when you're criticized for it, you have the gall to attempt to
justify yourself...
Eh? If I'm criticized about *anything* I'll respond by justifying myself.
What else am I going to do if my actions are called into question?
arguing that it is the other person's job to make sure that you
understand.
Are you claiming that it is not a writer's responsibility to write
reasonably clearly for their audience? Only the most vain and pretentious
so-called "literary" writers make a virtue out of obscurity and
incomprehensibility, and all they succeed in communicating is how obscure
and incomprehensible they are to their tiny audiences.

[Further accusations of wrongdoing snipped]
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Glen Wheeler
2004-08-13 02:06:54 UTC
Post by Neodymium
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
You see something unfamiliar, and your first reaction is to post a
followup asking what it means, without even making an attempt yourself
comprehend ot look it up, even when looking it up would take about as
much
effort on your part as posting the inquiry.
If I just quietly looked it up, was enlightened, and went on my way I'd be
being a very selfish bastard.
Wrong. Where is the argumentation here? Nobody said you were selfish,
although you just accused 99% of the Usenet population as being so.
Post by Neodymium
Instead I endure flames and ridicule
sometimes to make the effort to point out to the original poster that they
failed to communicate clearly and had their readership scrambling to start
up slow and wonky browsers to use search engines, rather than hanging on
their every word.
No. You do not endure ``flames and ridicule''. Do you write for a
sensationalist publication?
As Julian points out, communication is a two way process. You learnt how
to feed yourself a long time ago, Neo, I think it's time you grew up. The
author needs to write something that can be understood with a reasonable
amount of effort in the context, and the reader needs to use that effort. I
take it you've never seen an academic paper?
Post by Neodymium
Only if attention is brought to the fact that the
original posting was not easily understood with only common knowledge is
the original poster going to know better the next time they post.
All they found out here is that you are incredibly lazy.
Post by Neodymium
And when you're criticized for it, you have the gall to attempt to
justify yourself...
Eh? If I'm criticized about *anything* I'll respond by justifying myself.
What else am I going to do if my actions are called into question?
I believe the key point here was the word ``gall'' and it's connotations..
Perhaps you should address that part?
Post by Neodymium
arguing that it is the other person's job to make sure that you
understand.
Are you claiming that it is not a writer's responsibility to write
reasonably clearly for their audience?
I wonder how you can tell what Julian is arguing at all when you quote
half a sentence and then argue against it out of context.
For those who have trouble reading, no, he was not stating that.
Post by Neodymium
Only the most vain and pretentious
so-called "literary" writers make a virtue out of obscurity and
incomprehensibility, and all they succeed in communicating is how obscure
and incomprehensible they are to their tiny audiences.
Oh dear. You believe the previous poster was ``vain and pretentious'',
and making ''a virtue out of obscurity and
incomprehensibility''?
All he said was YARNS. A roguelike news site. THE roguelike news site.
In the context it was easy to work out.
Julian said all this already. Maybe you should try replying to his actual
post, instead of some smoke and mirrors display?
Post by Neodymium
[Further accusations of wrongdoing snipped]
You know, it would be less infuriating if you just did this in the
beginning. You didn't address a single part of his post seriously anyway.
--
Glen
L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
Neodymium
2004-08-13 02:17:12 UTC
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
Nobody said you were selfish, although you just accused 99% of the
Usenet population as being so.
I'm sorry. I don't know how I managed to leave out the whole remaining
percent -- that's probably thousands of people! ;)
No. You do not endure ``flames and ridicule''. Do you write for a
sensationalist publication?
Well, if I'm not enduring this particular instance of "flames and
ridicule" that you just posted, complete with the usual polar opposites of
terms of endearment, also known as insults, then what the heck am I doing
with it?
The author needs to write something that can be understood with a
reasonable amount of effort in the context, and the reader needs to use
that effort. I take it you've never seen an academic paper?
This isn't an academic journal. This is the polar opposite, also known as
Usenet. If a typical member of the target audience has to task switch from
reading to looking stuff up in mid-stream they are not writing very well
for that target audience. Even in an academic paper, that's true! --
there's a lot of arcane jargon, but the expected audience is as familiar
with those terms as the average Joe is with words like "up" and "down". ;P
Post by Neodymium
Only the most vain and pretentious
so-called "literary" writers make a virtue out of obscurity and
incomprehensibility, and all they succeed in communicating is how
obscure and incomprehensible they are to their tiny audiences.
Oh dear. You believe the previous poster was ``vain and
pretentious''
I never said that. On the other hand, if he makes a virtue out of
obscurity, my remark can be taken to imply as much.
You know, it would be less infuriating if you just did this in the
beginning. You didn't address a single part of his post seriously anyway.
Of course not. I don't take anything insulting on Usenet seriously. What
do you think I am, some kind of masochist? Anyone who takes half the flak
they get on Usenet too seriously will end up suicidal or suffer a heart
attack within days. Nor am I going to throw up a white flag and capitulate
to the (self-declared, by their initating hostilities) enemy either --
usenetters don't, in my experience, take any prisoners. :P
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Neodymium
2004-08-13 02:18:29 UTC
Post by Neodymium
Post by Glen Wheeler
No. You do not endure ``flames and ridicule''. Do you write for a
sensationalist publication?
Well, if I'm not enduring this particular instance of "flames and
ridicule" that you just posted, complete with the usual polar opposites of
terms of endearment, also known as insults, then what the heck am I doing
with it?
And by the way, yeah I do write for a sensationalist publication. It's
called "Usenet".
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Kornel Kisielewicz
2004-08-12 16:09:19 UTC
Post by Michael Blackney
Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
Bulletin. Then YARNS...
What?
Yet Another Roguelike News Site. A now suspended PostNuke based roguelike
news site which featured Downloads, Articles and News-gate, created and
maintained by Adam Kubiak and myself. Due to financial considerations of
Adam the site went down *sniff*.

Yes, I know this has been answered already in this thread. I answer again,
because I feel somewhat guilty for the whole rant which followed this
question -- YARNS was quite long on the web, but I never posted about it's
existence on rgr.announce (I was still looking for time to "redesign" it,
and make it a lot better, then I would announce it :( ). Nor was it
especialy advertised outside rgr.development. So many of you rgrd guys took
the knowledge of the existence of YARNS as granted, whereby many others from
outside may have not even heard about it...

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Maintainer of YARNS
Boudewijn Waijers
2004-08-12 20:46:07 UTC
I never posted about it's existence on rgr.announce (I was still
looking for time to "redesign" it, and make it a lot better, then I
would announce it :( ). Nor was it especialy advertised outside
rgr.development. So many of you rgrd guys took the knowledge of the
existence of YARNS as granted, whereby many others from outside may
have not even heard about it...
Indeed. I had never heard of it, mainly because I never read
rgr.development (my provider doesn't even carry it).

And long time posters on rgr.nethack know that I'm a hardy perennial
over there, having read that newsgroup for over ten years, and having
run a roguelikes website (www.win.tue.nl) for more than five years.

I know the feeling of "it's not ready yet": currently, I've reworked the
site, and put it on another server (roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub), but
the links are mostly dead because I'm still reworking the directory
structure, so I don't feel like announcing it officially yet.

Neodymium
2004-08-12 23:33:27 UTC
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
rec.games.roguelike.angband, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
Post by Kornel Kisielewicz
Post by Michael Blackney
[...]
esson here being err on the side of caution and verboseness when
communicating, rather than carrying brevity to the point of risking
obscurity.
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Kornel Kisielewicz
2004-08-13 00:55:30 UTC
Post by Neodymium
would announce it :( ). Nor was it especialy advertised outside
rgr.development. So many of you rgrd guys took the knowledge of the
existence of YARNS as granted, whereby many others from outside may
have not even heard about it...
esson here being err on the side of caution and verboseness when
communicating, rather than carrying brevity to the point of risking
obscurity.
And your point is?

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz

P.S. And where did I drop that letter from the front of the word, huh? ;)
Take it easy man!
Neodymium
Alexander Ulyanov
2004-08-12 20:43:28 UTC
Post by Michael Blackney
I think that an interesting idea is to have once-and-for-all celebrity
arguments (celebrity in the RL community sense) to settle the big
questions: ASCII vs Graphics; vi vs Num Pad; etc. Tongue in cheek may
make it readable, though the main purpose would be to stop anybody
else from getting into the argument again in the near future.
ASCII isthe One True Way. Vi is vile -- modeful interfaces stuck. Just Say
No to vi. There is no editor but Emacs and Meta is His prophet. And all
that.
So, why you are not using gnus instead of Xnews? ;-)
--
Alexander Ulyanov, mainteiner of PosBand roguelike
E-mail: uav AT urmail DOT ru
make you stronger that they." -- Akallabeth, the Downfall of Numenor
Boudewijn Waijers
2004-08-11 23:35:17 UTC
Post by Michael Blackney
Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
Bulletin. Then YARNS and (and IIRC Roguelke News II) came out and all
vied for attention, so I gracefully abandoned all the effort :) Of
all the logos I did, I found two floating around -
I can dig up two messages from my archives:

[ 18/7/2001, by ***@arns.freeservers.com ]

Hi, As most of you might know. Darren Hebden's site Roguelike News is
shutting down. In order to try and fill the space that will be left, I
have decided to start my own news site. You can see what I have so far
by visiting arns.freeservers.com . I have a lot of content still to
put in, but wanted something up now for people to start sending me
their information to post. As time goes by, I hope that this site will
be filled with lots of information about roguelike games. I hope to
make this a site that people can come to to find out information about
a specific game or roguelike games in general.

Whether your thinking of developing a game, or already have one in the
works, stop by and take a look. Drop me a line and let me know what
you think and send me all your news about your games. This site will
only be a good as the information I get from you.

Steve Register
ARNS - Another Roguelike News Site
***@arns.freeservers.com

[ 31/7/2001, by ***@btinternet.com ]

Hello there,

I hope to soon be able to put online a new roguelike support site
similar to
Darren Hebden's sadly closed RLNews site. After browsing the web for a
decent page with regular news I couldn't find anything except game
homepages. All the community sites seem to stop updating after
mid-2001...
:(

As a dedicated follower of roguelike RPGs I want to try and make a
decent
stab at this, and you guys may be interested to know my plans. "The
Rogue's
Haven" will be different from RLNews because it will be staffed by
enthusiastic community members and even some of the developers should
they
want in. With a little bit of ASP the site will allow staffers to post
news
and links without needing FTP access. It won't be hugely technical (it
doesn't need to be) - indeed this will be an exercise for me in learning
more about ASP while doing something to help out roguelikers. But
hopefully
it will become as regularly updated as RLNews was!

I stress that things have only just begun on the project and, because
I'm in
the final month of a college course, won't be doing any heavy site work
until late June. Staff recruitment will happen just before I put up a
beta
version of the site (so that it can be tested reasonably) - I hope to
get at
least a dynamic newsposting site running by early July, with more
features gradually being added in.

In the meantime, though, I have put up a selection of forums which maybe
you
guys want to check out. They're a little empty... erm, well, horribly so
at
the moment, but perhaps you can help solve that =)

* http://www.britishsquad.co.uk/haven
* http://www.britishsquad.co.uk/haven/forums

Any and all ideas / feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Happy hacking!

Neodymium
2004-08-12 07:57:55 UTC
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
rec.games.roguelike.angband, "Boudewijn Waijers"
Post by Boudewijn Waijers
Haven" will be different from RLNews because it will be staffed by
enthusiastic community members and even some of the developers should
they
want in. With a little bit of ASP the site will allow staffers to post
news
and links without needing FTP access.
Someone needs to tell this guy to use PHP and find out why he hasn't got the
memo yet that informs everyone that ASP is evil and throbs with the
diabolical powers of Satan.
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.
Boudewijn Waijers
2004-08-12 20:48:51 UTC
Post by Boudewijn Waijers
Haven" will be different from RLNews because it will be staffed by
enthusiastic community members and even some of the developers should
they
want in. With a little bit of ASP the site will allow staffers to
post news
and links without needing FTP access.
Someone needs to tell this guy to use PHP and find out why he hasn't
got the memo yet that informs everyone that ASP is evil and throbs
with the diabolical powers of Satan.
Please note that I didn't write this: I just quoted
***@btinternet.com. Also, the quote is from 2001, when ASP was
still more widely used than PHP, if I recall correctly.

Michael Blackney
2004-08-11 01:08:12 UTC
Post by Christopher
[...]
Bulletin. Then YARNS and ARNS (and IIRC Roguelke News II) came out
and all vied for attention, so I gracefully abandoned all the effort
:) Of all the logos I did, I found two floating around -

The funky
http://www.geocities.com/michaelblackney/Images/rlbulletin1.gif
and the more traditional
http://www.geocities.com/michaelblackney/Images/rlbulletin2.gif

Latest version 0.95 2-5-4
Neodymium
Mystic Triad
2004-08-11 11:30:27 UTC
"Neodymium" <***@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:***@66.185.95.104...
<SNIP message thread quoted for no reason at all>
Post by Neodymium
Was it *really* necessary to post 2 copies of this?
Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in your reply?
;)
Christopher
2004-08-12 03:11:03 UTC
Post by Neodymium
Was it *really* necessary to post 2 copies of this?
Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in your reply?
;)
And for that matter, wa it *really* necessary to make sarcastic
comments on a serious thread (rolls eyes) >:-(
Mystic Triad
2004-08-12 03:59:51 UTC
Post by Christopher
Post by Mystic Triad
Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in your reply?
;)
And for that matter, wa it *really* necessary to make sarcastic
comments on a serious thread (rolls eyes) >:-(
Welcome to UseNet, and for the record I was joking, as evidenced by the ;).
I didn't get the impression he was. Not that it matters ultimately.

I find it interesting that you disregarded my post (in the other thread)
where I offered to help, but felt compelled to comment on this one. I hope
your approach to the RL zine is more consistent.

S.
--
HA! - www.heroicadventure.com
Blog - www.mystictriad.com/dev

Your Operating System is a tool, not a lifestyle choice. Fight OS-ism!
Glen Wheeler
2004-08-12 06:12:39 UTC
Post by Mystic Triad
Post by Christopher
Post by Mystic Triad
Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in your
reply?
Post by Christopher
Post by Mystic Triad
;)
And for that matter, wa it *really* necessary to make sarcastic
comments on a serious thread (rolls eyes) >:-(
Welcome to UseNet, and for the record I was joking, as evidenced by the ;).
I didn't get the impression he was. Not that it matters ultimately.
I think Christopher is replying to Neo.
Post by Mystic Triad
I find it interesting that you disregarded my post (in the other thread)
where I offered to help, but felt compelled to comment on this one. I hope
your approach to the RL zine is more consistent.
S.
Not that he would be offended by your post...
--
Glen
L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
Mystic Triad
2004-08-12 14:15:22 UTC
Post by Glen Wheeler
Post by Mystic Triad
I didn't get the impression he was. Not that it matters ultimately.
I think Christopher is replying to Neo.
then perhaps he should have replied to Neo's message ;)
Post by Mystic Triad
your approach to the RL zine is more consistent.
Not that he would be offended by your post...
Why would he be offended by an offer to help? Especially considering it was
days before the post you replied to... so I fail to see how one should have
any bearing on the other.

S.

Filip Dreger
2004-08-12 22:20:20 UTC
Post by Mystic Triad
Your Operating System is a tool, not a lifestyle choice
Why? I think it is _mostly_ a lifestyle choice, it is best visible with Mac
and AmigaOS users, but people using Linux also tend to lead different
lives... and don't get me started about *BSD users! They are very different.
Since in many cases your OS affects the selection of people you meet, events
you attend and activities you take up, why shouldn't it be considered a
"lifestyle choice"? I think it is no less a lifestyle choice than smoking
cigars, paragliding or playing chess.
I do not want to start a fight, I honestly want to find more about your
opinions.
Filip Dreger
Stephen White
2004-08-12 22:43:36 UTC
Post by Filip Dreger
Post by Mystic Triad
Your Operating System is a tool, not a lifestyle choice
Why? I think it is _mostly_ a lifestyle choice, it is best visible with Mac
and AmigaOS users, but people using Linux also tend to lead different
lives... and don't get me started about *BSD users! They are very different.
Since in many cases your OS affects the selection of people you meet, events
you attend and activities you take up, why shouldn't it be considered a
"lifestyle choice"? I think it is no less a lifestyle choice than smoking
cigars, paragliding or playing chess.
I do not want to start a fight, I honestly want to find more about your
opinions.
Prefix the original quote there with "for most people" and you have
my opinion. Some people really CHOOSE an OS, like I used to use Amiga.

But *most* people just use Windows, and don't care about anything else.
In fact, Joe User doesn't really know or care what their OS is, they
just want their stuff to work. Replace their Windows box with another
that has the same functions, and they won't complain until something
breaks (like a website) because the person who made it was Windows only.
Mystic Triad
2004-08-12 23:00:45 UTC
Post by Filip Dreger
Post by Mystic Triad
Your Operating System is a tool, not a lifestyle choice
Why? I think it is _mostly_ a lifestyle choice, it is best visible with Mac
and AmigaOS users, but people using Linux also tend to lead different
lives... and don't get me started about *BSD users! They are very different.
Since in many cases your OS affects the selection of people you meet, events
you attend and activities you take up, why shouldn't it be considered a
"lifestyle choice"? I think it is no less a lifestyle choice than smoking
cigars, paragliding or playing chess.
I do not want to start a fight, I honestly want to find more about your
opinions.
ok, well... just remember you asked. ;)

It's a tool... nothing more. To attach any significance beyond that seems
ludicrous to me.

To put it in perspective... I grew up in a (very) small town in the country.
It wasn't uncommon to see people get into arguments over whether Ford or
Chevy was better. They're just cars (or trucks, whatever). People get
worked up over what college football team is better. A man in the city I now
reside in was murdered a few years ago as the result of a drunken argument
over an Army/Navy game. I just don't see the point.

To swing it back around to computers... I have 7 computers in my house. Most
run windows, but I also have 2 linux boxes and a power pc. Why? Because I
need exposure to those platforms for software development, and because I
like learning as much as possible. So... by lifestyle choice I mean that
it's fine to have a favorite platform (car, team, etc) but it shouldn't
define you. It's just a tool. It's a means to accomplish some goal. that's
all.

I work with people who are technology bigots and I just don't understand
their lack of objectiveness. No matter what the circumstances are, as soon
as you mention "x" they stop listening. My office is making a pretty
significant move towards adopting Microsoft .NET technology for future
initiatives and this guy refuses to learn any of the new tools simply
because he doesn't like Microsoft. Even though his refusal to learn could
cost him his job. (Note I said refusal, not inability... he's capable but
just refuses to learn it. ) I just don't understand people like that.

It seems to me, that people who allow themselves to be defined by such
irrelevant criteria lack depth. I'm defined by my accomplishments, my work
ethic, my family, etc.

(incidentally... playing chess is not a lifestyle choice either, unless you
make it one. It's a hobby. I play chess. It doesn't define me though, it's
just something I do. I don't sit at the chess table at lunch, ya know?)

Does that answer your question?

S.

Glen Wheeler
2004-08-13 02:18:58 UTC
Post by Mystic Triad
Post by Glen Wheeler
Post by Mystic Triad
I didn't get the impression he was. Not that it matters ultimately.
I think Christopher is replying to Neo.
then perhaps he should have replied to Neo's message ;)
I think he replied to your message as a means of agreeing with you. Where
are you christopher??
Post by Mystic Triad
Post by Mystic Triad
your approach to the RL zine is more consistent.
Not that he would be offended by your post...
Why would he be offended by an offer to help? Especially considering it was
days before the post you replied to... so I fail to see how one should have
any bearing on the other.
I believe this is my fault. I meant to state that your post was polite
and he would not be offended.

Let me go hide in a corner now.
--
Glen
L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
Christopher
2004-08-13 05:51:47 UTC
Post by Glen Wheeler
Post by Mystic Triad
Post by Glen Wheeler
Post by Mystic Triad
I didn't get the impression he was. Not that it matters ultimately.
I think Christopher is replying to Neo.
then perhaps he should have replied to Neo's message ;)
I think he replied to your message as a means of agreeing with you. Where
are you christopher??
(waves hand above crowd) "OVER HERE!!" :-)

After reading all this now *I'm* confused what I meant! As mention in
another post, that was a typo, it should have been '>:-)' not '>:-('.
It was just a comment about the both of the posts, but to be taken in
good humour. Obviously the typo confused that somewhat! :-)

Seraphim
2004-08-12 04:39:43 UTC
Post by Neodymium
Was it *really* necessary to post 2 copies of this?
Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in
your reply? ;)
And for that matter, wa it *really* necessary to make sarcastic
comments on a serious thread (rolls eyes) >:-(
Well, Neodymium doesn't provide a valid email address, so how do you
think someone should go about telling him that what he did wasn't the
best course of action?
Christopher
2004-08-13 02:09:33 UTC
Post by Seraphim
Post by Neodymium
Was it *really* necessary to post 2 copies of this?
Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in
your reply? ;)
And for that matter, wa it *really* necessary to make sarcastic
comments on a serious thread (rolls eyes) >:-(
Well, Neodymium doesn't provide a valid email address, so how do you
think someone should go about telling him that what he did wasn't the
best course of action?
Umm... just for the record that was a typo and should have been '>:-)'
Sorry for the misunderstanding and all
Neodymium
2004-08-12 07:52:54 UTC
Post by Neodymium
Was it *really* necessary to post 2 copies of this?
Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in your
reply? ;)
And for that matter, wa it *really* necessary to make sarcastic
comments on a serious thread (rolls eyes) >:-(
Serious thread? Where? I thought I was reading Usenet news -- guess I was
wrong, and it's CNN or some such. ;P
Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.