[YACD] killing Glaurung, even more loot ;)
Matthew Vernon
2015-08-06 16:28:59 UTC
Hi,

I hope you don't mind the endless questions - I don't think I've ever
been this deep before, so I'm finding it hard to weigh up all the
equipment issues (particularly as if I leave behind an artifact I should
have hung on to, it's gone for good!).

This trip to dlvl 60 had both Shelob and Glaurung in. Shelob was a bit
of a push-over(!), but Glaurung was rather harder (not least because he
summons some pretty hard-core Ds). I got lucky, though, and having
telother'd him, I later found him behind rubble in a corridor, so I
could lay a track of 8ish runes of protection, and only then dissolve
the rubble. That meant I could blat away with meteor swarms and he
didn't get too close!

I'll probably have Ulmo back as main weapon (I had the immFire swap-in
for fighting Glaurung). Are Nain & Erebor worth keeping as
chaos/disenchant swaps? My feeling is not as a lot of things breathe
both. In any case, I'll discard the blade of chaos when I get
home. Similarly, I think I'm close enough to having enough CON that
Thunderfist is never going to get a look in?

I mostly have Cubragol for the speed - even branded bolts aren't getting
much use, as I can do more damage with spells ATM.

I have too many rings - Barahir was nice for rPois, but now I have
Elessar, perhaps I should ditch that in favour of =speed or =con?

I seem to have ended up without Regen ATM; I can't see myself switching
the amulet of regen (or devotion) instead of Elessar ever, though!
Similarly, I don't think the stat-sustain of Anarion is going to beat
rPois/pBlind/+CON from Haradrim?

With high enough DEX, is there any point having >1 of any of the
dungeon-books? I think they're indistructible, and I can't be stolen
from...

Thanks,

Matthew
[Angband 3.5.1 Character Dump]

Name Matthew Age 110 Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Height 7'2" STR! 18/100 +1 -3 +13 18/210
Race High-Elf Weight 12st 6lb INT! 18/100 +3 +3 +8 18/***
Class Mage Turns used: WIS! 18/100 -1 +0 +3 18/120
Title Sorcerer Game 1844199 DEX! 18/100 +3 +0 +6 18/190
HP 648/648 Standard 268153 CON! 18/100 +1 -2 +9 18/180
SP 276/317 Resting 97978

Level 41 Armor [82,+116] Saving Throw 95%
Cur Exp 3095697 Stealth Excellent
Max Exp 3095697 Melee 2d5,+42 Disarming 85%
Adv Exp 3450000 To-hit 35,+51 Magic Devices 122
Blows 4.0/turn Perception 1 in 16
Gold 504956 Searching 19%
Burden 205.0 lbs Shoot to-dam +14 Infravision 40 ft
Speed 15 To-hit 35,+50
Max Depth 3000' (L60) Shots 1/turn

You are one of several children of a Noldorin Ranger. You have light
blue eyes, straight black hair, and a fair complexion.

rAcid:+.....+..+... Nexus:.........+...
rElec:......+...... Nethr:.............
rFire:*+..+.+...... Chaos:.............
rCold:......+..+... Disen:.............
rPois:..+.+...+.... Feath:.............
rLite:..........+.+ pFear:+...+.+.+..+.
rDark:..+......+... pBlnd:........+....
Sound:......+...... pConf:......+......
Shard:............. pStun:.............

Light:.....+....+.. Tunn.:.............
Regen:............. Speed:.+..+..+...+.
ESP:.......+..... Blows:.............
Invis:.....+......+ Shots:.............
FrAct:.........++.. Might:.............
HLife:............. S.Dig:.............
Stea.:..+....+...+. ImpHP:.............
Sear.:............. Fear:.............
Infra:............+ Aggrv:.............

[Character Equipment]

a) the Main Gauche of Azaghâl (2d5) (+12,+14)
Found lying on the floor in a vault at 1500 feet (level 30).

*Slays* dragons.
Provides immunity to fire.
Provides resistance to acid.
Provides protection from fear.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

Combat info:
4.0 blows/round.
Average damage/round: 302.4 vs. dragons, and 198.8 vs. others.

b) the Light Crossbow 'Cubragol' (x3) (+11,+14) <+10>
Dropped by a Gnome mage at 2600 feet (level 52).

+10 speed.
Branded with flames.
Provides resistance to fire.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

c) the Serpent Ring of Barahir <+1>
Found lying on the floor in a vault at 2750 feet (level 55).

+1 strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution,
stealth.
Provides resistance to poison, dark.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

d) a Ring of Intelligence <+6>
Dropped by a Young gold dragon at 2150 feet (level 43).

+6 intelligence.
Sustains intelligence.

e) the Elfstone 'Elessar' [+10] <+2>
Dropped by Glaurung, Father of the Dragons at 3000 feet (level
60).

+2 strength, wisdom, speed.
Provides resistance to fire, poison.
Provides protection from fear.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

When activated, it heals 500 hit points.
Takes 500 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 94.9%

f) the Star of Elendil <+3>
Found lying on the floor in a vault at 1950 feet (level 39).

Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Grants the ability to see invisible things.
Radius 3 light.

When activated, it maps the area around you.
Takes 127 to 250 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 97.4%

g) the Metal Brigandine Armour of the Rohirrim [50,+15] <+2>
Found lying on the floor of a cavern at 2300 feet (level 46).

+2 strength, dexterity.
Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, sound.
Provides protection from fear, confusion.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

h) an Elven Cloak of the Magi [6,+11] <+1, +3>
Dropped by a Great crystal drake at 2050 feet (level 41).

+1 intelligence, speed.
+3 stealth.
Cannot be harmed by acid.
Sustains intelligence.
Grants telepathy.

i) the Leather Shield of the Haradrim (+5,+5) [9,+15] <+2>
Found lying on the floor in a vault at 3000 feet (level 60).

+2 strength, constitution.
Provides resistance to poison.
Provides protection from fear, blindness.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Sustains strength, constitution.

When activated, it puts you in a berserker rage for d50+50 turns.
Takes 125 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 97.1%

j) the Steel Helm of Hammerhand [9,+20] <+3>
Dropped by Medusa, the Gorgon at 2450 feet (level 49).

+3 strength, dexterity, constitution.
Provides resistance to acid, cold, dark, nexus.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Prevents paralysis.

k) the Set of Leather Gloves 'Cammithrim' (+5,+5) [1,+11] <+1>
Dropped by Azog, King of the Uruk-Hai at 2250 feet (level 45).

Provides resistance to light.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Sustains constitution.
Prevents paralysis.
Radius 1 light.

When aimed, it fires a magic missile with damage 3d4.
Takes 5 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 98.7%

l) the Pair of Steel Shod Boots of Thrór [7,+20] <+3, -1>
Found lying on the floor in a vault at 2350 feet (level 47).

+3 strength, constitution, speed.
-1 stealth.
Provides protection from fear.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

[Character Quiver]

n) 20 Seeker Bolts of Wounding (4d5) (+17,+18)
Dropped by The Balrog of Moria at 2100 feet (level 42).

Combat info:
Hits targets up to 120 feet away.
Average damage/round: 279.8 vs. creatures not resistant to fire,
and 139.9 vs. others.
25% chance of breaking upon contact.

o) 16 Bolts of Slay Evil (1d5) (+8,+9)
Dropped by Glaurung, Father of the Dragons at 3000 feet (level
60).

Slays evil creatures.

Combat info:
Hits targets up to 120 feet away.
Average damage/round: 136.5 vs. evil creatures, 163.8 vs.
creatures not resistant to fire, and 81.9 vs. others.
25% chance of breaking upon contact.

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners]
b) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks]
c) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions]
d) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations]
e) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices]
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

f) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Raal's Tome of Destruction]
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

g) a Book of Magic Spells [Mordenkainen's Escapes]
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

h) 12 Mushrooms of Clear Mind
i) 22 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
j) 4 Potions of Healing
k) a Potion of *Healing*
It can be thrown at creatures with damaging effect.

l) 18 Potions of Restore Mana
m) 4 Potions of Restore Life Levels
n) 8 Scrolls of Banishment
o) 5 Rods of Probing
p) a Wand of Annihilation (3 charges)
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

q) 2 Rings of Speed <+9>
+9 speed.

r) an Amulet of Regeneration
Found lying on the floor of a cavern at 1550 feet (level 31).

Speeds regeneration.

s) the Large Metal Shield of Anárion [12,+20]
Dropped by Lokkak, the Ogre Chieftain at 1500 feet (level 30).

Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Sustains strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution.

t) the Trident of Ulmo (4d10) (+15,+19) <+4>
Found lying on the floor in a vault at 1950 feet (level 39).

+4 dexterity.
Slays animals, dragons.
Provides immunity to acid.
Provides resistance to acid, nether.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Blessed by the gods. Slows your metabolism. Speeds regeneration.
Prevents paralysis. Sustains your life force. Grants the
ability to see invisible things.

When aimed, it teleports a target monster away.
Takes 125 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 97.4%

Combat info:
4.0 blows/round.
Average damage/round: 387.2 vs. animals, 483.2 vs. dragons, and
291.2 vs. others.

u) the Pick of Erebor (4d3) (+5,+20) <+5, +3, +1>
Dropped by Itangast the Fire Drake at 2700 feet (level 54).

+5 tunneling.
+3 strength, constitution.
Slays demons, orcs, trolls.
Branded with acid.
Provides resistance to light, dark, chaos.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Sustains strength.
Radius 1 light.

Combat info:
4.0 blows/round.
Average damage/round: 318 vs. demons, 318 vs. orcs, 318 vs.
trolls, 318 vs. creatures not resistant to acid, and 246.4 vs.
others.

v) the Mattock of Náin (2d8) (+12,+18) <+6, +4>
Dropped by Glaurung, Father of the Dragons at 3000 feet (level
60).

+6 tunneling.
+4 strength, infravision.
+20% to searching.
Slays orcs, trolls, giants, dragons.
Provides resistance to dark, disenchantment.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

When aimed, it turns rock into mud.
Takes 5 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 94.9%

Combat info:
4.0 blows/round.
Average damage/round: 328 vs. orcs, 328 vs. trolls, 328 vs.
giants, 328 vs. dragons, and 245.2 vs. others.

[Home Inventory]

a) a Book of Magic Spells [Tenser's Transformations]
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

b) 8 Mushrooms of Vigor
c) 25 Potions of Healing
d) 9 Potions of *Healing*
It can be thrown at creatures with damaging effect.

e) a Potion of Life
It can be thrown at creatures with damaging effect.

f) a Scroll of Mass Banishment
g) 6 Scrolls of *Destruction*
h) a Ring of Constitution <+5>
Found lying on the floor of a special room at 2600 feet (level
52).

+5 constitution.
Sustains constitution.

i) a Ring of Speed <+8>
Found lying on the floor at 2600 feet (level 52).

+8 speed.

j) 2 Rings of Resist Poison
Found lying on the floor at 2050 feet (level 41).

Provides resistance to poison.

k) an Amulet of Devotion <+2, +1>
Dropped by an Ogre at 2300 feet (level 46).

+2 wisdom.
Provides resistance to fire, light, dark.
Sustains wisdom.
Sustains your life force.
Radius 1 light.

l) the Leather Scale Mail 'Thalkettoth' (-1) [20,+25] <+3>
Found lying on the floor at 1650 feet (level 33).

+3 dexterity, speed.
Provides resistance to acid, shards.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Prevents paralysis.

m) a Fur Cloak of the Magi [3,+13] <+2>
Found lying on the floor in a pit at 1650 feet (level 33).

+2 intelligence, stealth.
Provides protection from confusion.
Cannot be harmed by acid.
Sustains intelligence.

n) an Iron Crown of Night and Day [0,+16] <+1>
Dropped by an Ancient green dragon at 2050 feet (level 41).

Provides resistance to light, dark.
Provides protection from blindness.
Cannot be harmed by acid.
Grants the ability to see invisible things.
Radius 1 light.

o) a Golden Crown of Serenity [0,+8]
Found lying on the floor in a vault at 1950 feet (level 39).

Provides resistance to sound.
Provides protection from fear, confusion, stunning.
Cannot be harmed by acid.

p) the Set of Gauntlets 'Paurhach' [3,+14]
Found lying on the floor in a vault at 2350 feet (level 47).

Provides resistance to fire.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Speeds regeneration.

When aimed, it creates a fire bolt with damage 9d8.
Takes 22 to 40 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 99.0%

q) a Pair of Iron Shod Boots of Elvenkind [4,+9] <+3, +7>

+3 stealth.
+7 speed.
Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.
Feather Falling.

r) a Pair of Ethereal Slippers of Stability [0,+10]
Dropped by Sangahyando of Umbar at 900 feet (level 18).

Provides resistance to nexus.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Feather Falling.

s) the Katana 'Aglarang' (6d5) (+10,+10) <+5, +1>

+5 dexterity, speed.
+1 attack speed.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Sustains dexterity.

Combat info:
5.0 blows/round.
Average damage/round: 292.

t) a Blade of Chaos of Westernesse (6d5) (+15,+20) <+1>
Found lying on the floor in a vault at 2350 feet (level 47).

+1 strength, dexterity, constitution.
Slays orcs, trolls, giants.
Provides resistance to chaos.
Prevents paralysis. Grants the ability to see invisible things.

Combat info:
4.0 blows/round.
Average damage/round: 455.2 vs. orcs, 455.2 vs. trolls, 455.2 vs.
giants, and 292.8 vs. others.

u) the Great Axe of Eönwë (5d4) (+15,+18) [+8] <+2>
Dropped by Ji Indur Dawndeath at 2600 feet (level 52).

+2 strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution.
Slays evil creatures, undead, orcs.
*Slays* demons.
Branded with frost.
Provides immunity to cold.
Provides resistance to cold.
Provides protection from fear.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Blessed by the gods. Prevents paralysis. Grants the ability to
see invisible things.

When activated, it removes all non-unique monsters within 20
squares, dealing you damage in the process.
Takes 2500 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 97.4%

Combat info:
4.0 blows/round.
Average damage/round: 320.8 vs. evil creatures, 378.8 vs. undead,
378.8 vs. orcs, 378.8 vs. creatures not resistant to cold, 494.8
vs. demons, and 262.8 vs. others.

v) the Two-Handed Great Flail 'Thunderfist' (4d6) (+5,+18) <+4, +3>
Found lying on the floor at 2350 feet (level 47).

+4 strength.
+3 constitution.
Slays animals, orcs, trolls.
Branded with lightning, flames.
Provides resistance to lightning, fire, dark.
Provides protection from fear.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

Combat info:
4.0 blows/round.
Average damage/round: 336.8 vs. animals, 402 vs. orcs, 402 vs.
trolls, 402 vs. creatures not resistant to electricity, 402 vs.
creatures not resistant to fire, and 271.2 vs. others.

w) the Mace 'Taratol' (3d4) (+12,+12)
Dropped by The Queen Ant at 1950 feet (level 39).

*Slays* dragons.
Branded with lightning.
Provides immunity to lightning.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.

When activated, it hastens you for d20+20 turns.
Takes 252 to 500 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 98.1%

Combat info:
4.0 blows/round.
Average damage/round: 270.4 vs. creatures not resistant to
electricity, 338.8 vs. dragons, and 202 vs. others.

x) a Long Bow of Extra Might (x4) (+10,+10) <+1>
Bought from a store.

+1 shooting power.

[Player history]
<trimmed content from previous post>
224207 2350' Found the Two-Handed Great Flail 'Thunderfist'
233573 2450' Found the Set of Gauntlets 'Pauraegen' (LOST)
233769 2450' Killed Medusa, the Gorgon
233943 2450' Found the Steel Helm of Hammerhand
233945 2450' Found the Rapier 'Forasgil' (LOST)
235078 2450' Reached level 38
235308 2450' Killed Akhorahil the Blind
236791 2450' Killed Eöl, the Dark Elf
238544 2500' Found the Dagger 'Angrist' (LOST)
239551 2600' Found the Light Crossbow 'Cubragol'
240833 2600' Killed Ji Indur Dawndeath
241038 2600' Found the Great Axe of Eönwë
241393 2600' Found the Cutlass 'Gondricam' (LOST)
242879 2600' Killed The Phoenix
242879 2600' Reached level 39
249161 2700' Killed Itangast the Fire Drake
249350 2700' Found the Pick of Erebor
249362 2700' Found the Iron Crown of Berúthiel (LOST)
249555 2700' Found the Set of Gauntlets 'Paurnimmen' (LOST)
250759 2750' Found the Serpent Ring of Barahir
251249 2750' Killed Gorlim, Betrayer of Barahir
251288 2750' Found the Rapier 'Careth Asdriag' (LOST)
252600 2750' Killed Ar-Pharazôn the Golden
253795 2750' Reached level 40
258670 2950' Killed Ren the Unclean
258956 2950' Found the Set of Gauntlets 'Paurnen' (LOST)
262035 3000' Killed Shelob, Spider of Darkness
265745 3000' Reached level 41
266938 3000' Found the Leather Shield of the Haradrim
267171 3000' Found the Bastard Sword 'Calris'
267992 3000' Killed Glaurung, Father of the Dragons
268129 3000' Found the Mattock of Náin
268132 3000' Found the Elfstone 'Elessar'
--
`O'-----0 `O'---. `O'---. `O'---.
\___| | \___|0-/ \___|/ \___|
The Dangers of modern veterinary life
Eddie Grove
2015-08-07 22:26:09 UTC
Post by Matthew Vernon
I'll probably have Ulmo back as main weapon (I had the immFire swap-in
for fighting Glaurung). Are Nain & Erebor worth keeping as
chaos/disenchant swaps?
Probably worth keeping, unclear if worth carrying.

I'd be hoping to find another source of disenchantment resist.
OTOH, while getting your artifacts disenchanted is a crime with
any other class, it's merely embarassing for a mage who need not
ever melee. Chaos resistance depends upon how annoying you find
hallucinations.

Most likely you could dump them without regrets.
Post by Matthew Vernon
My feeling is not as a lot of things breathe
both. In any case, I'll discard the blade of chaos when I get
home. Similarly, I think I'm close enough to having enough CON that
Thunderfist is never going to get a look in?
Erebor is also worth keeping as a +5 con weapon, assuming you
get rid of Thunderfist.
Post by Matthew Vernon
I mostly have Cubragol for the speed - even branded bolts aren't getting
much use, as I can do more damage with spells ATM.
Cubragol is just a speed ring you get to wield in the bow slot.
Ridiculously overpowered, and yet uninteresting.
You don't really need to save or carry any ammo.
Post by Matthew Vernon
I have too many rings - Barahir was nice for rPois, but now I have
Elessar, perhaps I should ditch that in favour of =speed or =con?
Barahir is only useful for a short window, that you have passed.
Post by Matthew Vernon
I seem to have ended up without Regen ATM; I can't see myself switching
the amulet of regen (or devotion) instead of Elessar ever, though!
Similarly, I don't think the stat-sustain of Anarion is going to beat
rPois/pBlind/+CON from Haradrim?
If you have rPois from Haradrim, and you do damage with spells, what is
the fascination with Elessar? If I had rPois somewhere else, I'd at
least consider regen. And don't forget, there's always Paurhach. :)

You are unlikely to need Anarion, but it is possible it might turn out
to be useful for sustain INT. Dump it if desperate, but save it if you
can.
Post by Matthew Vernon
With high enough DEX, is there any point having >1 of any of the
dungeon-books? I think they're indistructible, and I can't be stolen
from...
The only point is to have a backup at home in case you find so much you
want to take home that you throw away your book in the dungeon before
recall. That however requires enough room at home to set aside the
slot.

If you just want to stop carrying extra weight, inscribe the copies you
carry with !d!k and then squelch them.
Post by Matthew Vernon
HP 648/648 Standard 268153 CON! 18/100 +1 -2 +9 18/180
You con is not that high, particularly if you ever switch to a shield
for disenchantment resist. There is a definite possibility you will
want con from your weapon slot at some point. Also, swap to see the
diff in hp, 18/200 is significantly better than 18/180.
Post by Matthew Vernon
[Character Inventory]
l) 18 Potions of Restore Mana
I'd want to leave most of these at home unless having full immunity to
cold.
Post by Matthew Vernon
u) the Pick of Erebor (4d3) (+5,+20) <+5, +3, +1>
Dropped by Itangast the Fire Drake at 2700 feet (level 54).
+5 tunneling.
+3 strength, constitution.
Oh, that has changed, used to be +5 con. If it comes down to a choice,
probably still better to save at home than Thunderfist, but I'm not 100% sure.
The standard con bonus item is Calris, +5 con and disenchantment resist.
Post by Matthew Vernon
k) an Amulet of Devotion <+2, +1>
Dropped by an Ogre at 2300 feet (level 46).
+2 wisdom.
Provides resistance to fire, light, dark.
Sustains wisdom.
Sustains your life force.
Radius 1 light.
I'm can't guess why you were not squelching these.
Post by Matthew Vernon
u) the Great Axe of Eönwë (5d4) (+15,+18) [+8] <+2>
Dropped by Ji Indur Dawndeath at 2600 feet (level 52).
+2 strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution.
Slays evil creatures, undead, orcs.
*Slays* demons.
Branded with frost.
Provides immunity to cold.
That's one of the great weapons. Ideally this should be your std
weapon. Then you can carry all your potions, freeing up a few
slots at home.
Post by Matthew Vernon
x) a Long Bow of Extra Might (x4) (+10,+10) <+1>
This is pointless, and would still be even with an extra shot.
Your bow slot is mostly for resistances now, or speed from Cubragol.
Matthew Vernon
2015-08-08 08:56:41 UTC
Post by Eddie Grove
Oh, that has changed, used to be +5 con. If it comes down to a choice,
probably still better to save at home than Thunderfist, but I'm not 100% sure.
The standard con bonus item is Calris, +5 con and disenchantment resist.
Funny you should say that - it's sat on the floor nearby and I wasn't
going to collect it, because of the heavy curse [I forget - means can't
be removed with Remove Curse, you have to enchant and get lucky?] and
aggravation. It's worth keeping despite those?

Thanks,

Matthew
--
`O'-----0 `O'---. `O'---. `O'---.
\___| | \___|0-/ \___|/ \___|
The Dangers of modern veterinary life
Eddie Grove
2015-08-08 09:10:21 UTC
Post by Matthew Vernon
Post by Eddie Grove
Oh, that has changed, used to be +5 con. If it comes down to a choice,
probably still better to save at home than Thunderfist, but I'm not 100% sure.
The standard con bonus item is Calris, +5 con and disenchantment resist.
Funny you should say that - it's sat on the floor nearby and I wasn't
going to collect it, because of the heavy curse [I forget - means can't
be removed with Remove Curse, you have to enchant and get lucky?] and
aggravation. It's worth keeping despite those?
The rule used to be that each enchant over +0 gave a chance to break the
curse. 25%? I forget. So you need a whole lot of enchants starting
from -20.

However, a scroll of *REMOVE CURSE* [that's with *'s, may just show
up as bold] will break a heavy curse. Don't forget to wield before
reading.

When you are finally ready to face Morgoth and/or Sauron, it won't
matter if you aggravate.
Eddie Grove
2015-08-08 17:07:12 UTC
Post by Eddie Grove
Post by Matthew Vernon
Post by Eddie Grove
Oh, that has changed, used to be +5 con. If it comes down to a choice,
probably still better to save at home than Thunderfist, but I'm not 100% sure.
The standard con bonus item is Calris, +5 con and disenchantment resist.
Funny you should say that - it's sat on the floor nearby and I wasn't
going to collect it, because of the heavy curse [I forget - means can't
be removed with Remove Curse, you have to enchant and get lucky?] and
aggravation. It's worth keeping despite those?
The rule used to be that each enchant over +0 gave a chance to break the
curse. 25%? I forget. So you need a whole lot of enchants starting
from -20.
However, a scroll of *REMOVE CURSE* [that's with *'s, may just show
up as bold] will break a heavy curse. Don't forget to wield before
reading.
It would be wise to check whether that scroll is guaranteed to work in 3.5.
It might ruin your game if someone changed things so artifacts get a save.